Adding Fuel to the Nitrate Debate: Why Water Changes DONT Reduce Nitrates

vanilla__gorilla__

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
at work
I bleave in water changes I do 50% a week and graval vak and in my 180g the nitrates have not gone over 10 in the 5 years it has been sett up so if water changes didn't work then my nitrates should be wuch higher:mr-t:

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
well since my nitrates in my neglected tank are 200 ppm i suppose i am way the hell behind on my water changes there. that might explain few algae problems.

ah well that tank hasnt had a motile life form in it in three years thats bigger than a ramshorn snail so i suppose no harm no foul. Its also the only tank i've been able to keep java fern alive in for any length of time go figrue.

very interesting i'll have to ponder this at work tomorrow.

jason

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hmm.. 1750 gallons, flow-through system with automatic water changer.. Changing 25gph. Nitrates never get above 20ppm, fish never die.. HMmmm?? Am I missing something?

This is kind of a dumb debate.. Looks like some people are being antagonists. I don't even see the point? Other than the guy who started the original concept thread is an idiot.. :screwy:

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
if your nitrates climb to a level where it will be toxic to your fish you are either:

1. overfeeding
2. overstocked
3. not doing enough water changes
4. not changing enough water each time

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
everyone thinks that they are smarter than the next guy here damn!! All I know is I do a 50% change weekly and my nitrate is 15ppm never moves.. thats all the proof I need and I didn't even have to do any math woohoo!!!!!

Guinness

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
Oak Lawn IL
I didn't mind figuring out the math. I was at work and the samples I needed didn't come in, so I had nothing else to do.
Guinness

vanilla__gorilla__

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
at work
everyone thinks that they are smarter than the next guy here damn!! All I know is I do a 50% change weekly and my nitrate is 15ppm never moves.. thats all the proof I need and I didn't even have to do any math woohoo!!!!!
you should check your tapp water it maybe 15 also

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Read post #2 of this thread and this time click the link MFKers!

My formula is right, Guiness'es is wrong. Sorry :cry:

The "article" is badly written. It says "control" but means "eliminate" and says "normalise" but means "level off/out/stablise". If you read it again substituting "eliminate" for "control" and "level off/out/stablise" for "normalise", you might actually understand it.

It is very awkward indeed but it helps my cause:

Repair,

Large waterchanges are better! :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store