advice needed for 600 gallon beginner

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. I didn't mean to sound condescending in my previous post, I was just thinking out loud. Please keep us posted on your progress and post some pics, I'd love to see some monster sw fish!

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
no no u wernt condesending. i understand i only know what i read... i know half or more of what i know is probably wrong because the only way to learn is from experience.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
here u go slowhemi, theyre old from when i first got the tank.

CIMG3416.JPG

CIMG3419.JPG

CIMG3424.JPG

CIMG3425.JPG

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Why would you not need a protien skimmer? Who ever told you this was very wrong. With a massive tank your going to have bigger fish. They produce more waste , meaning more needs to be removed. Protien skimmers removed dissolved protiens aka dissolved foods and poop. You would need this for sure, especially for a predator tank. Your looking at 900 dollars for a protien skimmer to run that tank , and the pump should do atleast 2,500 gph , and i would have two of those on that tank. Just for those items your looking at a good 1,500 dollars. Shop around for better deals though , just understand that a 600 gallon SW tank is no noobie project.

Dont talk to people from petco , or petsmart. Most of those stores dont have SW sectoin for a reason , they are retarded.

I would do Freshwater and do a smaller saltwater tank and you will soon realize if you can manage it.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
how big of a protien skimmer would you recommend?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
carcrazy;3772787; said:
That tank is enormous! You are going to be spending a lot of money on salt for wc (probably a $100 bucket/week), at least 600 lb of live rock ($3000), 5 pendants for mh ( 5 250w bulbs and ballasts $1500) and a large protein skimmer ($1000). If you have a sump, you will have to figure in a decent return pump ($500). You will also need quite a few power heads to move the water around in such a large tank to keep corals alive.
I disagree with this completely it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg (no offence) I have been planning a 500g for my main display for about 8 months (alot of research probably 4-6hrs a day of it) then a 1000gal to replace it once i have more time and a few more bucks to spend, and I have found ways to cut the setup cost for a 500gal to around 3000$ total (though thats without sps quality lighting or a big skimmer as explained below)
I dont agree with a weekly water change period at all espechialy in a FO or FOWL, (unless the parameters just dont stay in good ranges,) if you have a skimmer, good biofiltration, and enough macros in a fuge then monthly at the most with a reasonably stocked aquarium (except maybe with preds).
First key is to use aragocrete for 80-90% of the rock then by some beautiful uncured live to jump start the cycle.
I would even debate using a skimmer (though ive done a ton of research into the alternatives so a noob shouldnt try this) except in the case of a predator tank where they are very nessisary unless ther is extreamly light stocking.
Using aragocrete you can cut the cost of live rock by more then half (around 1-2$ a lb at the most) though the aragocrete has to be done right or there will not be enough nitrification going on.
The only cost that never changes is the pumps (unless you go high end) and the powerheads, though at the same time powerheads can be cut if you know how to build a proper random directional flow manifold as a manafold only costs a bit more plumbing.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Kevin8888;3773288; said:
I disagree with this completely it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg (no offence) I have been planning a 500g for my main display for about 8 months (alot of research probably 4-6hrs a day of it) then a 1000gal to replace it once i have more time and a few more bucks to spend, and I have found ways to cut the setup cost for a 500gal to around 3000$ total (though thats without sps quality lighting or a big skimmer as explained below)
I dont agree with a weekly water change period at all espechialy in a FO or FOWL, (unless the parameters just dont stay in good ranges,) if you have a skimmer, good biofiltration, and enough macros in a fuge then monthly at the most with a reasonably stocked aquarium (except maybe with preds).
First key is to use aragocrete for 80-90% of the rock then by some beautiful uncured live to jump start the cycle.
I would even debate using a skimmer (though ive done a ton of research into the alternatives so a noob shouldnt try this) except in the case of a predator tank where they are very nessisary unless ther is extreamly light stocking.
Using aragocrete you can cut the cost of live rock by more then half (around 1-2$ a lb at the most) though the aragocrete has to be done right or there will not be enough nitrification going on.
The only cost that never changes is the pumps (unless you go high end) and the powerheads, though at the same time powerheads can be cut if you know how to build a proper random directional flow manifold as a manafold only costs a bit more plumbing.

Good info , my estimated costs were only full priced LFS prices. Only to give the idea it CAN cost a bit and will require some bargin shopping. Ebay is a great tool for all your aquarium needs at great prices. Look around, price everything out and make sure you can purchase all your items you require. Then once you get all the items for your tank , you can work on steps of putting it together. Ill help walk you through this one. I'll post some good products and links to them for you tomorrow, help you get started on the bargin shopping :).

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
if going this big and its your first tank take your time to really read into what you want to setup whether your going to do FOWLR, Shark or Rays, Reef. Just take the time to weigh your option's and see what will work best for you financially and as far as up-keeping it as well.

mr.reef24

slowhemi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Corona CA
thanks for the pics!!! wish it was mine!! i would do..........dont know ha ha good luck there are a lot of great people here to help you with any thing you need!! cant wait to see the pics when your done!!!

pseudodoras

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
san diego
im running a fowlr that is about 600 gallons if you include the filtration sumps . ive never had a fish die except a white spotted grouper that was eaten by another grouper . i use an asm g-5 skimmer and there is about 500 lbs of live rock in the system . also have bio balls in my sump . i do a 150 gallon water change once a month ( not always exactly on time ) but here in san diego we are lucky to be able to get are water straight from the ocean . birch aquarium fiters water from the ocean to feed there tanks and since it funded by tax payer money the public is allowed to get the water also . i just drive to the pier and fill up 55 gallon water containers at no charge . but i have mixed water before using oceanic salt cost me about 40 dollars per water change . good luck !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store