advice needed for 600 gallon beginner

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
mr.reef24;3773542; said:
if going this big and its your first tank take your time to really read into what you want to setup whether your going to do FOWLR, Shark or Rays, Reef. Just take the time to weigh your option's and see what will work best for you financially and as far as up-keeping it as well.

mr.reef24
i have ruled out sharks and rays due to the width of the tank. i might pursure that with a different tank down the road. As for a reef tank, i don't think i would be able to manage that due to what ive read. So really im thinking a fish tank with the possibility of adding a few simple corals later on down the road. So at this junctior i guess i really need to start thinking of a stocking list due to the fact that the decisions i make now will limit what i can do later. Thats where my thought process is now.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
can anyone give me some first hand tips about which is easier to manage? a tank with a couple large predators or a large community of smaller fish

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
shark_curious;3775044; said:
As for a reef tank, i don't think i would be able to manage that due to what ive read. So really im thinking a fish tank with the possibility of adding a few simple corals later on down the road. So at this junctior i guess i really need to start thinking of a stocking list due to the fact that the decisions i make now will limit what i can do later.
Well since your doing FO or FOWL then your costs will be lower, as you can just buy some regular flouresent lighting instead of Metal Halides or T5s and the amount of water flow needed isnt as demanding as the fish may not need high flow (though it depends).
Yep you definatly have some tricky desitions, I'm still beating away at my stocking list, though I have to go completely reef safe as I intend to fill my tank with corals as well.
Keep in mind that you also have to learn what fish are safe with eachother, espeshaly with the preds, as they can often go for fish their own size.
Even in the case of a herb/ominivors some fish are more agressive and will bother others, and some will only bother others that look similar to their own species... so the stocking list needs alot of thought a little luck and advice from others.
Once you have an general idea post your list on the site asking for adivce as many members would love to share their knowledge and experince with new poeple.
This is my fav site to brouse fish as they have good pictures and they give basic info about them, so all you need to do is look a little deeper some where else if you think you have found a fish youd like to add to your system. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
yeah ive perused liveaquaria a few times back when i was thinking shark. And as for the predator tank. i was thinking maybe 3 fish total or maybe 2 depending on species. thats why im not sure what to do at this point. thus the curiosity as to which is a little easier to keep maintained.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
I have kept both. I found the predator tank was always a healthier system than the community. I have since got rid of the community tank and looking back on it I think the community was more problematic because of a couple of things.

1. With predators you know they are more messy and generally more expensive fish so I was more compelled to have very regimented tank maintenance. My predator tank always came first. So I was more inclined to let the community miss a day or two here and there.

2. I had a much larger better set up for the predator tank than the community tank.

3. I spent a lot more on the predators and I found they more interesting to look at so they got more attention form me and my girl.

With a tank like your I think it would be awesome to see a couple of predators over a school of community fish. I personally think they have way better personalities and are cooler fish. I had a puffer a lion fish and a trigger. Each one would greet me every time I was by the tank. Each one could be hand feed, which I stopped after the puffer got a tiny bit of finger one day. My community fish never really seemed to care if I was there or not they just swam around.

Bubbles2112

Candiru
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
North Carolina
Nice sized tank! :headbang2 I don't have saltwater tanks but I think that you could do much more with smaller schooling fish in a tank that size. Just my 2-cents. :) Anyway that you decide to go will be killer, I bet!!! I can't wait to see this completed!!!

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
The1and only;3778185; said:
I have kept both. I found the predator tank was always a healthier system than the community. I have since got rid of the community tank and looking back on it I think the community was more problematic because of a couple of things.

1. With predators you know they are more messy and generally more expensive fish so I was more compelled to have very regimented tank maintenance. My predator tank always came first. So I was more inclined to let the community miss a day or two here and there.

2. I had a much larger better set up for the predator tank than the community tank.

3. I spent a lot more on the predators and I found they more interesting to look at so they got more attention form me and my girl.

With a tank like your I think it would be awesome to see a couple of predators over a school of community fish. I personally think they have way better personalities and are cooler fish. I had a puffer a lion fish and a trigger. Each one would greet me every time I was by the tank. Each one could be hand feed, which I stopped after the puffer got a tiny bit of finger one day. My community fish never really seemed to care if I was there or not they just swam around.
with that kind of lineup, what were u feeding them, how often, and how much did they go through in sayabout a month. ive read that frozen silversides work well for lions but what did u give the puffer to keep his teeth down?

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
if i do a predator tank, would a sump be recommended?

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
Bubbles2112;3778201; said:
Nice sized tank! :headbang2 I don't have saltwater tanks but I think that you could do much more with smaller schooling fish in a tank that size. Just my 2-cents. :) Anyway that you decide to go will be killer, I bet!!! I can't wait to see this completed!!!
well i am buying a house so i gotta get moved in first and this is following after i get settled so a few months i hope till the setup.

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
I feed my lionfish and eels market shrimp. Sometimes I soak the shrimp in liquid vitamins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store