Aequidens diadema sp. Jenaro herrera

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Thanks, Tom. I ask because I have one of the largest ones in the group digging a pit in the front center of the tank. Its colors are dark and it's chasing away all the other fish. I do see tubes half down on a few of them. It doesn't appear to be flirting or pairing with any of the others; it's just digging alone.

It's an interesting behavior because since I bought them I haven't seen them do anything except fight and eat.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
If anyone wants my four they can have them. They eat smaller fish (including plecos), eat all my plants (they love anubias) and are beating the crap out of one another. At least it appears that two are beating up the other two, but they're leaving the Geophagus and Satanoperca alone.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ Mine do go after the Geophagus sp. Tapajos in the tank, and occasionally after my Andinoacara latifrons, but they only seem to do real damage to each other. It's not uncommon for me to hear a loud splash and then look at the tank to see scales floating everywhere. It's a 150 which I thought would be big enough, but I guess not.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
If anyone wants my four they can have them. They eat smaller fish (including plecos), eat all my plants (they love anubias) and are beating the crap out of one another. At least it appears that two are beating up the other two, but they're leaving the Geophagus and Satanoperca alone.
Would take you up on that if our locations were close enough. Jenaro herrera were one of my wish list fish, missed out on them when Rapps got them in. Does temper things a bit to read they're not the easiest fish to keep, though not unexpected for a wild Aequidens, but still a fish on my wish list... maybe not quite as high on my list but still on the list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store