African Arowana and Jardini?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
My afrowana is a killer.

They are filter feeders and need constant food supply when young. Once 20" plus they are one of the hardiest fish I've owned. They love to jump so be aware. Mine has left the tank 10 times easily during WC and transport.

They seem to be less aggressive if they have sand or substrate to constantly sift through. Mine is much calmer this way. In a bare bottom he is constantly sucking on other fishes.

If you get one less than 9" still in the constant feeding stage use a sponge filter. It will trap food so it can constantly feed.

Good luck and unless you have money to burn I'd choose one or the other.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thats how they kill, they never stop. Im surprised people call these gentle giants. Ive only heard that they grow more docile past 20".

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I don't think african aro grow more docile past 20". I'm only able to keep african arowana with other south american, asian and australian aro as I have more aros in the tank. I sold all my asian aros and other south american and australain and was left with 2 silver aros and 1 jardini. Jardini was killed in the 3rd day but 2 silver were kept alive as they were much bigger. African aro at 20" and even at 20" they still have a slender smaller body build compared to a 22" jardini. Still manage to overpower a much bigger jardini. Unless you have a bigger tank and with more aros you can keep both. But if only jardini and african aro, both fish have temper and don't usually back out from fights. However african aros don't get tired easily compare to asian and australian thus that make African aro able to take out other aros.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I'm picking up an African arowana tomorrow at my lfs. And I'm wondering if I can get a jardini as well. Will they fight? Kill eachother? Please let me know.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I see these two species as showcase fish...Which means they deserve their own aquarium...........A Jardini should be in a 6 foot tank...........An African should be in a 6 foot..........Putting both in one tank, you will have a tankbuster............It would last for a year..............

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I don't think african aro grow more docile past 20". I'm only able to keep african arowana with other south american, asian and australian aro as I have more aros in the tank. I sold all my asian aros and other south american and australain and was left with 2 silver aros and 1 jardini. Jardini was killed in the 3rd day but 2 silver were kept alive as they were much bigger. African aro at 20" and even at 20" they still have a slender smaller body build compared to a 22" jardini. Still manage to overpower a much bigger jardini. Unless you have a bigger tank and with more aros you can keep both. But if only jardini and african aro, both fish have temper and don't usually back out from fights. However african aros don't get tired easily compare to asian and australian thus that make African aro able to take out other aros.
Right on! For anyone who thinks Jardini is bad ass at adult size, it's only because he/she has zero clue or has never own an African arowana

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Please don't take this the wrong way

Afro for many anyways are a novelty fish
They are something most aro keepers want in there collection but when you get one the novelty has gone
They are more hassle than they are worth unless your going to keep them on there own

The problem is they go for gills

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
My Afro is my showpiece, however there's nothing it even looks at anymore in my tank. All it cares about is the substrate.

Oddball said he could introduce more than one Afro in the same tank once it hit that size, but idk what size tank he has them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store