African Arowana and Jardini?

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Aren't these African arowanas not even technically arowanas. Like needle nose or hujeta gar aren't really gars. They are more closely related to the arapaima. Yes, arowanas and arapaima are related but maybe these should be called African arapaima. Just a thought...but the one in the video is relentless, wow.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
My Afro is my showpiece, however there's nothing it even looks at anymore in my tank. All it cares about is the substrate.

Oddball said he could introduce more than one Afro in the same tank once it hit that size, but idk what size tank he has them in.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Last time I tried to introduce a 21" and 22" african aro they all fought non stop from the time I placed the two new ones till I was worried that they all might die from injuries. None backed out from the fight. I eventually separated the other two and keep my old 20" as it got some special spots on the body. Sold the other 2. Wanted to keep more than one african arowana but due to aggression, I ended up only keeping one.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Aren't these African arowanas not even technically arowanas. Like needle nose or hujeta gar aren't really gars. They are more closely related to the arapaima. Yes, arowanas and arapaima are related but maybe these should be called African arapaima. Just a thought...but the one in the video is relentless, wow.
African arowana and arapima are more primitive form of their asian, australian and south american arowana cousins. They are all in sub-order: Osteoglossoidei which also includes the african butterfly fish. If you want to include all the order: Osteoglossiformes, which includes, Gymnarchidae (abas), Mormyridae (elephantfishes), Notopteridae (featherbacks/knifefishes). All are called bonytougues fishes. Unlike your comparison to the true gar species, Lepisosteiformes. Both hujeta gar and needlenose gars are not even closely related. Arapaimas, arowanas, abas, featherbacks, mormyrids and african butterfly fish are all related.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
African arowana and arapima are more primitive form of their asian, australian and south american arowana cousins. They are all in sub-order: Osteoglossoidei which also includes the african butterfly fish. If you want to include all the order: Osteoglossiformes, which includes, Gymnarchidae (abas), Mormyridae (elephantfishes), Notopteridae (featherbacks/knifefishes). All are called bonytougues fishes. Unlike your comparison to the true gar species, Lepisosteiformes. Both hujeta gar and needlenose gars are not even closely related. Arapaimas, arowanas, abas, featherbacks, mormyrids and african butterfly fish are all related.
You're right, I was comparing true gars to characins (needle nose and hujeta)..apples and oranges. I was just curious as to why the African arowana is called an "arowana" when it is more closely related to an arapaima.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store