Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
DeLgAdO said:
no this is great

its time we learned about our africans for once

I know enough about them to get by.....as much as I hate to admit it i have kept a few in my beginnin fish years.... :swear: ...twasn't my brightest shinin moments lemme tell yaz....

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Why do most people dislike them so much, I went in knowing nothing about them and they turned out to be my favs. I must be missing something about these guys :confused:

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I do long tanks, I like em long... the only tall I have is my 15 hex in my room.

Someone guess my fish already!! just becuase its 1:14 am doesnt mean all of you are sleeping LAZYs

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
"I like em long..." kinky! Wide tankz are a must with most of the fish kept here though! ;)

There are several reasons why I personally don't like Africans.

1. Cuz they are takin over the Pet Stores. I've seen more and more LFS being more dominated by African cichlids than SA/CA cichlids. Its very frustrating...and it makes me bitter towards them. The main reasons they are dominating the LFS's is that they are generally pretty from the start and easy to get. This makes them more appealin. SA/CA cichlids generally start out drab and get better lookin as they get older, but not many people know this, so they are turned off by them cuz they think they are ugly. I think there are MANY SA/CA cichlids that easily rival/surpass even some SALT WATER fish.

2. Their personalities suck, seriously, Africans hold no interest from me, aside from thinkin they are pretty. I get bored watchin them quickly. They just don't have the dynamics and personalities of SA/CA cichlids. This seriously puts a dampener on them. 90% of my SA cichlids (i only have SA...hehe...:woot: ) are personable and will eat from my fingers.

3. They are soo common. Every where you go you see Africans, of all sorts. Its like there are no rare ones, or uncommonly kept ones. Thats one of the most appealing things to me about SA/CA cichlids is that most of them are still rare or uncommon. Not many people keep pike cichlids for instance, and fewer still keep the rare ones. So they are special, and unique.

Africans are aight in their own way, just would be a lot happier if more stores would revert back to sellin more SA/CA cichlids......

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
damn, i guess youve got a few reasons:ROFL: i personally dont dislike them but you are right, stores are stocking up way too much on africans, thats all i can really even find around here, unless i special order from my lfs. time they start sellin somethin better (ive told em this many times:))

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I see, most of the lfs sell both equally here so I never though about it much. I didnt even pick them out, it was for my moms tank, but I grew really fond of them after I looked into them, mine are not all that friendly, if its feeding time then they would prob bite you, even though they are still small they are pretty effin mean, it was really funny trying to them eat my eel and at the same time my eel tried to eat them.. they still attack eachother its quite amusing its a stupid reason to enjoy them but thats what got me hooked haha. I wanna get the species of fish that Ive posted pics on the two threads. Not all of them are colorfull, but they look very intresting. I like CA/SA cichlids as well I plan on starting them as my next tank which will prob. be sometime around x-mas or the begining of next year.

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
My sister hates S.A. but loves africans. But I am a closet frontosa fan :grinyes:

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Frontosa's are awsome!! I own a few myself, actually all my tanks are pretty much either types of cichlids or catfish. And just to remind you all go to page 1, look at the fish and guess what it is! it's the one towards the bottom, it cant be that hard..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store