Africans & CAE ?

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hello Chaps.

Any advice or feedback on keeping mixed Africans (11 in total) with a Chinese algae eater? The Africans are now a little more than an inch.

The same tank also has two bumble bee catfish, 21 tiger barbs and 2 Siamese algae eaters.
Some root wood, and quite a fair number of plants that are more clustered at either ends of the tank and back, so more open room in the middle. Sand Substrate. Anubis and Java fern (attached to wood and Buried.)

No one fights with anyone, every seems to get along quite well as they have all grown up together since fry (apart from the Bumblebees). There is still a lot of open space, but I would prefer not to fill it with a pleco as I know when all my Africans and tiger Barbs grow to their full size they need room. Chinese algae eaters tend to grow along the lines of 7 - 8 inches? Very rarely reaching 12 if I am not mistaken. Just wanted to know if at some point it will kill anything.

Please note pics are from before I added new plants, there are more now.fish...jpg fish..jpg fish.jpg

Thanks.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have no advice on the feeding question. I have kept the chinese algae eater and do not care for them. As they get larger they can be come aggressive. They also are not much on eating the algae. I did not see this myself, but they are reported to attach to the sides of other fish and cause damage.

I like the tank pictured. I also have kept large groups of the tiger barbs and find them striking. Good luck.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; One other thought. I see that you have sand as the substrate. If it is more than an inch deep, you might want to search for information about anaerobic gases that can build up in sand.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Tank looks very nice. I don't think the algae eater will be a problem. I have heard the same things about them sucking the sides of fish but I have never seen that in all my years keeping fish...I have also heard that all sucker mouth fish have the potential to do that. The only fish I have ever seen actually do that is a Tiger Scat...and a Pink Chalceus...seriously...
I wouldn't be to concerned about it...and as far as it getting past 8"...doubt it.

The deep sand looks awesome. As long as you keep it stirred occasionally, it will be fine....if you notice bubbles rise when you do stir it, just increase the regimen.

Reactions: Melto

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thank for the reply, and positive feedback on the tank. Those Tiger barbs are amazing little fish. especially with food like bloodworms or crickets haha. They are the best to watch eat.

I have heard about the sand gas build up, haven't done much research on it, but I mix the sand around when I clean the tank and do a water change. I have also introduced some 'trumpet snails" I think they are called. They burrow and moved the sand around so I'm hoping it will be alright.

I just liked the energetic nature and look of the CAE. Don't want to upset my tank though. Guess ill have to give it a miss and find something else to eat algae off the glass.

Reactions: Melto

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thanks for the advice Jason and the compliment, I was thinking now, I had also heard mostly only the reports of storys of the these fish but never heard from anyone who has had first hand experience of one sucking other fish to death. I don't see small Africans putting up with this even if it did. I think they may keep it in its place. You have given me hope! I might just get a little one and see how it goes. Unfortunately here in Dubai there is not a huge variety of fish to choose from.

Reactions: boldtogether

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
the algae eaters are aggressive but so are the mbuna. its a fine mix imo.

Reactions: boldtogether

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I guess I got the worse of them. I had them when I first started. They were ok at first but got lazy as they grew. I got 2 of them up to 10 inches. They would attack(suck) my plecos that were even bigger. They would also lightly chase my swimming fish. I got tired of their nasty behavior and got rid of them and have never owned another one since(this was around 1991).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store