Aggressive tank

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but I'm thinking of getting an aggressive tank. Considering a 6x2x2 180gal with 1. dovii male 2. festae pair, Jardini, jag male and Midas (also hoping a pleco will work for the tanks). Or a 4x2x2 with 1. festae pair
2. Jag pair 3. Cuban pair 4. Rd or midas. I'm into the really aggressive predatory big Americans. Anyone have any other suggestions or opinions?

Cheers, Tom

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
You'll be lucky if you can get a jardini to live with one of those cichlids let alone a list , ive had a jag and jardini long term but my jag took lots of beatings over time and turned out to be one tuff contender. Some jardini are more passive than others but most won't share tankspace with anything that poses a threat to them or occupies the same swimming space .
As for the cichlid side of things you'll probably have to swap and change a few once they become dominate untill you find some sort of balance and pecking order is established, dovii dont mix well once 10"+ and get very big so you may want to think about that choice especially male

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
The cichlids mentioned in the post are all aggressive and predatory. Keeping them in one tank is not advisable because they will try to establish the territory and that's where problem will start. For a 180 I would say a pair of either Dovii or Jag to start and grow out that's it. More FSH means essentially floaters or fish which are swimming upside down :)

Reactions: Montelboom

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I could see the Dovii going on a murderous spree in there...a possible option could be to work around a big male Midas, justarn justarn used to have a great show male

Reactions: Buphy

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
I could see the Dovii going on a murderous spree in there...a possible option could be to work around a big male Midas, justarn justarn used to have a great show male
The cichlids mentioned in the post are all aggressive and predatory. Keeping them in one tank is not advisable because they will try to establish the territory and that's where problem will start. For a 180 I would say a pair of either Dovii or Jag to start and grow out that's it. More FSH means essentially floaters or fish which are swimming upside down :)
You'll be lucky if you can get a jardini to live with one of those cichlids let alone a list , ive had a jag and jardini long term but my jag took lots of beatings over time and turned out to be one tuff contender. Some jardini are more passive than others but most won't share tankspace with anything that poses a threat to them or occupies the same swimming space .
As for the cichlid side of things you'll probably have to swap and change a few once they become dominate untill you find some sort of balance and pecking order is established, dovii dont mix well once 10"+ and get very big so you may want to think about that choice especially male
Oh yeah I didn't mean for them all to go in one tank I meant for the 6' either the male dovii on its own or the others together. Cheers for the quick replies though.
Tom

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you want to commune aggressive fish, do not do any pairs. Just stick with an all male tank to increase your chances of success. Also, have another tank ready for any of the fish that take a serious beating and need a chance to heal.

tobegr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2014
montreal
I have my dovii, red devil, beani, istlanum, motaguense,indonesian tigerfish and four umbees living together in 5'x2'x2'
They are still juvenile though, the biggest one is the 7 inches male umbee :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store