Algae in a Planted Vieja Tank

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
So I've cut back the lighting schedule pretty drastically. T8's are on for an hour in tbe morning (8-9am), then tbe tanks dark during the day, then the grow lights come on 6 hours afternoon/night--3pm to 9pm. Will the fish be fine in a dark tank most of the day like that?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
So, I rad this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80641&page=2 I think I get it now. If the plants are growing well, then it's LIKELY that algae WON'T have the proper conditions IT needs to thrive. Makes perfect sense. Given what I have, easiest place to start getting the right conditions for plants to thrive is nutrients for plants. So two more questions. Got a link to a good calculator? And what dry ferts would you recommend?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Okay, I'll answer your posts in order

Post 1: Why do you have the t8's on in the morning at all? it makes more sense to me to just have all the lighting be at the same time, or do a siesta period where its like 4 hours of whatever lighting on, hour or two no light, 4 hours of that same whatever lighting on, then night time. The fish won't care how much light they do or don't have most of the day, its your plants that would care more. If you want, start at 6 hours for now, you can eventually work your way up to 8 hours...maybe even 10 but I think 10 might be pushing it? But its possible and do-able for sure.

Post 2: I don't have a calculator mostly because I'm lazy and don't use one...but I'm sure you can find one on either The Planted Tank, Aquatic Plant Central, or The Barr Report. Personally, I just EI dose or do a generalized PPS-Pro thing, which are both pre-measured and pre-set up amounts. I do tweak my EI dosing when needed though, which I'm feeling I might have to do again soon. My non-EI dosed tanks aren't EI dosed because I don't want to do weekly water changes on them, and because they are dirtied tanks and get a buttload of nutrients for the substrate itself (although still not enough hence why I do the PPS-Pro to supplement that...although I need to get more strict about it).

Post 3: That sounds like a good starting point, seems very similar in nature to the PPS-Pro thing I'm doing for my 10 and 5.5 gallon. Personally, I buy my ferts from Nilcog, who has profiles on multiple planted aquarium websites, as his prices are good and he is helpful with questions. The PPS-Pro thing I'm using is a liquid mix he sells where its just put in however many ml of macro and micro per gallon daily, which is what it seems like what you linked to is saying. PPS-Pro is nice but the only thing that sucks about it is you are providing what the plants need for a day, giving you less leeway when you skip a day and lessening growth, which isn't always a bad thing since trimming a large tank can get annoying real fast.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, I left the lights off today, the fish don't care in the least. A little ambient light in the room, they know it's daytime, they do their thing. I figure I'll just turn the lights on by hand to feed em in the morning. Then have an 8 hour full light cycle that turns off completely at 10PM. I watch fish at night instead of TV. Reading more about EI and dry ferts today, I just ordered dry so I can measure it out and put it directly in the water. I can adjust things, put it in the ratios I want, and I don't have to mix up a solution if I don't want to. I ordered some more plants, too. I figure I need some plants to start growing, using up some nutrients and light, hopefully I can counteract all the fish waste in the water. I ordered..

dwarf onion -- 10 plant bunch
Green melon sword
hygrophila corymbosa
4 different Anubias plants

Ya know, I've never put ANY nutrients/ferts in the tank at all, just the med/med-high lighting, and a bunch of fish. Surprised I don't have worse algae than I do.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I came up with this for EI dosing schedule for my 125 Gallon tank. What do you think?

1 1/2 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/2 tsp KH2PO4 3x a wek
1/2 tsp CSM+B 3x a week
1/4 tsp Fe 3x a week

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I got plants in today. So I did a big WC, planted the plants (tedious work), and added 1 1/2 tsp KNO3, and 1/2 tsp KH2PO4. We'll see what happens.
IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
The csm micro mix has iron. Are you intentionally adding more?

I would check nitrate and phosphate levels at the end of the first week of dosing to see how well they are being consumed and adjust from there.

And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I only have API Master test kit. The nitrate test in there is how I test nitrates? What's good to use to test phosphates? I thought CSM didn't have enough iron, so it's good idea to add a little iron. I read that on the internet, sounded good, so I went with it. I don't have a clue. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store