all my fish are dead why ?

cc1693

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
Sydney
I don't see how tap water would make a difference, its been 3 months. The temperature, could be a possible problem but at that stage unless pH is around 5 or 10 I don't see how it could kill fish, I've tested worse and the fish are living fine. Look, a very risky thing to do is skimp out on live rock, in a reef aquarium it is going to hold a hell of a lot of benifical bacteria in your fish tank. I would suggest, stop wasting money on fish, and buy some live rock, start the cycle again. Your tank sounds like it is almost certainly crashed. What type of filter are you running, if it is a canister allow it to cycle for longer, then, introduce fish at a rate of 2 fish per 3 weeks. Until suggested stocking levels have been reached. If you have a sump, I don't understand how it could've crashed if it was bigger then your display tank which leads me to believe it cant be a sump. if yourfilter is a hang on or internal don't bother it won't be able to support the desired number of fish you are looking at. Anemones do take time to die, its not an over night process like fish. the signs your fish are showing are all aligned in my opinion with extremely high levels of ammonia and nitrite. Do your self a favour and stop buying fish, get yourself pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits. Buy a hydrometer. Get a heater if you don't have one, and a thermometer. Tell us all the readings. Buy live rock, start the cycle again. This way you will save, money, you won't be as frustrated and you will start enjoying the hobby because you will learn to understand the tank. Did you change the water in your tank after the fish died? If you didn't you haven't removed any nitrate. Extremely high level sof nitrate can cause fish to die over a period of time, however not in tthree days which is why I doubt your tank is cycled. I hope the advice helps, I am not bashing you sorry if I come across that way. Goodluck with the tank and we are all waiting to help you out.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
No live rock? that's probably your problem right there.... the water chemisty is probably way off just from that. I sure hope you used live sand, otherwise we have definitely found your problem

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
I'm starting my first saltwater FOWLR tank atm, and from the research i've done, you totally stocked too many fish at the same time, plus live rock are the staple of succesful saltwater tanks. you should've made sure you researched a lot more than that. I've done 3-4 months of research and i'm still learning new things everyday and will continue to as i make more mistakes in the future. take ur time and research!!!!! hope you can learn from this and have a great looking tank in the future.

P.S. dont get too excited, take it slowly, i'm holding all my excitement back atm too! =) if i havent researched i wulda done the same thing too, dw man

cc1693

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
Sydney
I agree research is the key, I have had saltwater fish tanks for approximately 7 1/2 years, and Ive worked in aquariums for 4 1/2. Yet even I still learn everyday. I research, I listen to stories, I know I am only a grain of sand in knowledge, hence why I believe I should continue to learn. No body perfects a hobby. If everyone did, it would become boring. I never, look down on beginners either, to be honest some beginners know a lot basically because they make a lot of mistakes, I was there everyone has to make msitakes in saltwater to really become successful. It's best to make them now then later when you have pumped over $15,000 of live stock into your main display and it crashes.

Robg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
schaumburg il
OK so how did you cycle your fish tank??? Because it is important on how the cycle took place another thing how much live sand crushed coral do you have??? No live rock in a reef tank doesn't make sence... if you are doing a fish only tank then I would understand... but of this tank wasn't cycled properly and wasn't tested before putting any fish in it no wonder your fish died.... I have a reef tank and never change the water ever I do have a 75 gallon reef but I have 80 pounds of live sand and 200 pounds of live rock plus UV light and skimmer with wet dry and this reef is really nice and good it even grows starfish by itself and I never had a problem... well the only problem I ever had is buying anemones that move and sting my other corals and sea urchin that knocks down my clams and rocks but that's it and off course buying the right fish for a reef..... I actually heave more problems with my freshwater tank than I have with my reef tank well mind u I have a 600 gallon freshwater and a 75 gallon reef.... well I hope this helps you out in anyway good luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
Now that I think about it, adding the un-detoxified water probably killed off the majority of any if at all beneficial salt water bacteria in your tank and it doesn't have enough to handle your fish. Add 75-100lbs of live rock to the tank, wait 4-5 weeks and try again

jamncook

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
Danbury, Ct
Get live rock about 1# per gallon and add this product called cycle. It will add the good bacteria To the tank and neutralize all the bad. Ur tank will cycle real fast. If u have a canister filter take out all the media and use just live rock.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Bottom line here unless told otherwise, that tank is not cycled at all. The op NEEDS to give more information.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Try some seachem stability. It works incredibly well for helping your cycle along.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JASamper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2012
California
The fish died because you have no clue what you're doing. It sounds harsh but you need to do proper research before you decide to endanger other animal's lives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store