Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Mr.bigglesworth 2.0

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

unlockwall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
ontario
we use live sand from petsmart got all the fake rocks from pet smart and we ran the tank for around 3 months before puting any fish in side as far as i know thats cycleing the tank i dont know of anyway to tell if your tank is cycled or not this is my first salt water tank kept fresh for about 10+ years and did quite a bit of reading before i desided to try out salt

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
we use live sand from petsmart got all the fake rocks from pet smart and we ran the tank for around 3 months before puting any fish in side as far as i know thats cycleing the tank i dont know of anyway to tell if your tank is cycled or not this is my first salt water tank kept fresh for about 10+ years and did quite a bit of reading before i desided to try out salt
You know if its done cycling by testing it.

It would be so much easier to help if you list your parameters

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wesley M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
St. George, Utah USA
First off, but q ramn test kit! You say you've had fresh water for 10 years but don't have a test kit or tried using one on your salty? I hate to see the shape of you fresh water fish. Second, get a new stand! Who in their right mind would out a 55 gallon tank on something that can't properly take the weight. Then get live rock. It will look better anyways, and it is the primary source of food in a salt watertank. Depending on your fish, you won't even need to feed once the rock has grown and thrived a bit. Add the product cycle and after a couple days add one fish (a cheap one). (its waste will help speed up the cycle). Check parameters 2 times a day and take approperiate action to maintain or correct parameters. A week later add another fish (granted the other one is still alive). The main thing is get s test kit for everything. Saltys are very delicate and if one thing is off slightly, it would cause everything in the tank to die. A lot more maintenance and work to keep it healthy.

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Some much anger on this site lately...

OP I would recommend getting a Saltwater API master test kit. Then test the water an post your results. Ignore all the hatred, some of us are actually here to help.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Some much anger on this site lately...

OP I would recommend getting a Saltwater API master test kit. Then test the water an post your results. Ignore all the hatred, some of us are actually here to help.
No. Buy salifert test kits

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
No. Buy salifert test kits

Are they that much better? I would easily spend $100+ for just 50 tests, what am I gaining over API?

I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely curious.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Salifert and red sea test kits are by far more accurate - you can also test half doses with these extending their tests per kit total by 50%.

What may seem as anger is probably ppl who've been doing SW for years reading newb's giving bad advice or advice they have zero working knowledge of.

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Interesting, I'll have to get some on payday.

That being said, how inaccurate are API kits, specifically the saltwater master test kit? Is this something I should be worried about?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Interesting, I'll have to get some on payday.

That being said, how inaccurate are API kits, specifically the saltwater master test kit? Is this something I should be worried about?

Its not that its inaccurate per say. Its just that salifert kits use better solution, they give more accurate results. I have both kits. If I feel the nitrate is getting a little high then I will test it with my API kit. But for cal,mag,iodine and KH I will use my salifert tests. I use a Hannah checker for PH though. Salifert kits are money well spent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store