All things Star Wars

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
On a slight deviation, I watched "A New Hope" last night, and was totally put off by the ridiculous changes George Lucas has made to it; it's not even just one thing, its so many added and unnecessary changes, that actually nearly destroy character changes and personalities etc.

The absolute worst offenders that come to mind include:

- Obi Wan now making weird screeching noises when he is first introduced (yes, its weird)
- Lots, and LOTS of added bad looking cgi, that actually blocks out original scenes entirely, such as Mos Eisley Luke's speeder.
- Lightsaber has been toned down, and looks crap; and now very obviously bad cgi. The originals were very bright and the edges were glaring, giving the impression of the power of them etc
- Han now dodging/being shot at before shooting Greedo. This change successfully ruins Han's character evolution from anti-hero to hero, over the course of the movie, by portraying him as a "nice" guy all along.
- More over the top added stuff in scenes, e.g. Han running into a small group of storm troopers initially on the death star, changed to him running into a hall full of hundreds of them.
- this change is probably from the next movie, but includes Darth Vader's dialogue changing, for example when Luke falls down the air shaft away from Vader in The Empire Strikes Back, Luke now screams and Vader shouts "Noooooo!". As if that wasn't cringey enough, his dialogue right after this scene is changed from the emotionally charged "Bring me my shuttle", to something along the lines of "have my starship destroyer prepare for my arrival" in monotone, voiced by someone that isn't Earl Jones.

The even worse thing about it is that the original VHS versions which are superb, are largely unavailable now; with George Lucas having gone out of his way to ensure that only his new versions are the ones being circulated going forward, really irritating, and I'm not even a big fan, I just like them.

Rant over haha

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The even worse thing about it is that the original VHS versions which are superb, are largely unavailable now; with George Lucas having gone out of his way to ensure that only his new versions are the ones being circulated going forward, really irritating, and I'm not even a big fan, I just like them.

Rant over haha
With those observations noted you seem to be a bigger fan than I thought I was lol....I thought Obi Wan made that sound in order to scare or distract the Tuskan raiders away from Luke? I have a boxed set of the first three films on VHS but I don't remember if they are the original versions you spoke of or Lucas' newer versions.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
With those observations noted you seem to be a bigger fan than I thought I was lol....I thought Obi Wan made that sound in order to scare or distract the Tuskan raiders away from Luke? I have a boxed set of the first three films on VHS but I don't remember if they are the original versions you spoke of or Lucas' newer versions.
In the original, he doesn't make any noise lol. I haven't seen the VHS originals for about 10 years at least, but you immediately recognise changes; the scenes just don't feel right now lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In the original, he doesn't make any noise lol. I haven't seen the VHS originals for about 10 years at least, but you immediately recognise changes; the scenes just don't feel right now lol
Interesting,I have known that sound going back as long as I can remember,and I recall the sound being written into one written form of the movie or another that I have read. I'll have to dig out my set and check it out....but I don't think I have any vhs players stored away lol.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Han now dodging/being shot at before shooting Greedo. This change successfully ruins Han's character evolution from anti-hero to hero, over the course of the movie, by portraying him as a "nice" guy all along.
This was the biggest one for me, and the reason I own (and wore to the movie) a "Han shot first" teeshirt.

The sound was there in the originals, but it was far far more muted. They cranked up the volume in the 'remastered' crud.

Though the changes to Luke/Vader's iconic scene in Empire is also up there and probably tied for number one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store