Alligator Gars

rk59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Germany
not at all. I agree with you that there must be a very, very large tank to keep alligator gars, but I thought, this is clear for all users of the monsterfish forum. I personnally never kept alligator gars since my tank isn´t big enough. Three friend of mine grow their alligators from baby gar to adult size and they had no problems with them.

I´m interested in southamerican carfish and gars. I´m happy to find this board today to share my experience.

Regards

Reiner

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
The rod and reel world record alligator gar weighed 290 lb, and the trot line, or unrestricted division record weighed 302 lb. Both were caught in the Rio Grande River back in the 1950s, and measured a little over 7-1/2 ft in length. thats a big fish :clap

treegar.jpg

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
Yeah... I just googled them after I made the post. haha. My gosh - 300lbs Hmmm. That thing can probably swallow some domestic house pets, and then some. eek. I thought it was funny though - cuz i read an article that stated that there are public aquariums who would like to display Alligator Gars but dont have any - since they couldn't find ones small enough. haha.

The ones I saw at the LFS were pretty though. First Gars i've seen in the LFS. (Yes- i live a sheltered life) :grinyes: The two rows of teeth are definately interesting. They have two of them in a 180 gal right now i think. The owner told me he was gonna move them to the indoor pond that they had. I knew they were monster fish, but didn't think they get that big.

hehe. :) so what is the smallest Gar out there? As this one supposively is one of the largest? Just curious. hehe Thanks for the info! Definately a fasinating fish.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
Out of the 7 species of gars, 4 species are found in Florida including the
alligator gar Ranges from 0.76-4 m (2.5-13 ft.); depends on species. The alligator gar is one of the largest of all freshwater fishes, Spotted, Florida and short-nosed gars are smaller than the other ... Gars and can be kept with most fishes that are too big to be eaten grow to about 2ft

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Taboojen said:
I saw two baby alligator gars at the LFS (Thats what they called them.) They are about 12-14" each. Beautiful fish. Anyone currently keeping any? How big do these guys get?
10 feet or more. I've seen them that size. Mine isn't quite 30 inches yet. Great fish

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Some Monster Fish should never be house IMO. Mekong Catfish, Alligator Gars, Arapaimi, etc. They're BIG. And as nice as they are to have, unless you have the funds to give it a...I don't know...5000 gallon aquarium/pond and appease it's appetite, I would say don't do it.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
arapaimag said:
10 feet or more. I've seen them that size. Mine isn't quite 30 inches yet. Great fish
Spoken by the one guy on this board with a tank large enough to keep one :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store