Alligators on MFK

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
E_americanus;2621266; said:
that's a Florida/spotted gar you have there, not a gator...nice specimen though--
--solomon
You better be joking with me...

I just paid $50 for him because he was sold to me as Atractosteus spatula.

He has no spots or anything on him except for the line running down his back and side

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ViperCLKGTR;2621908; said:
You better be joking with me...

I just paid $50 for him because he was sold to me as Atractosteus spatula.

He has no spots or anything on him except for the line running down his back and side
sorry to hear you paid the extra $$ for a gator, but that's definitely not an alligator gar, and most definitely a Florida/spotted gar. spots will develop further as the fish matures. snout width is far too narrow to be a gator as well...you can compare photos of juvenile gars at the following for ID:

www.primitivefishes.com

Juvenile Gar ID Key:
http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2739

--
--solomon

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
E_americanus;2621924; said:
sorry to hear you paid the extra $$ for a gator, but that's definitely not an alligator gar, and most definitely a Florida/spotted gar. spots will develop further as the fish matures. snout width is far too narrow to be a gator as well...you can compare photos of juvenile gars at the following for ID:

www.primitivefishes.com

Juvenile Gar ID Key:
http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2739

--
--solomon
You can not believe how angry I am right now....

Anyone want to trade a Florida for a Gator? I'll pay for shipping and everything....

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ViperCLKGTR;2621932; said:
You can not believe how angry I am right now....

Anyone want to trade a Florida for a Gator? I'll pay for shipping and everything....
Did you not bother to look up anything about this fish? If you did you would have very well known that the fish you have is not a gator.

If you do not know simple ID you do not need or have place for a Gator.. It will be too much for you very quickly. Keep the Florida / spot. It is a better fish for you at this time.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Polypterus;2624494; said:
Did you not bother to look up anything about this fish? If you did you would have very well known that the fish you have is not a gator.

If you do not know simple ID you do not need or have place for a Gator.. It will be too much for you very quickly. Keep the Florida / spot. It is a better fish for you at this time.
definitely agree. trust us, you're better off with the Florida/spotted--
--solomon

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
yeah, floridas are cool too and they also get pretty big. but not bigger than ur couch unlike gators are expected to. good luck with that.

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Polypterus;2624494; said:

Yes I've been looking up Alligator Gar daily for the last 6 months... When in the shop when I was iding him I was 90% certain it was a Alligator

-1. His snout was wider than the rest of his body and rather short compared to my Florida and Spotted snouts when they were as big as he was

-2. I have never seen a Florida/Spotted Gar at 6 or 7 inches in which the primary color was brown

-3. Again at this size they should already have developed spots on their body.... When my Florida was 5 inches long and when my Spotted was 5 inches long they both already had very well defined spots, the Gar in question has no defined spots on his body at 6 inches only markings are a dark brown stripe down his back and side and faint spots on his fins and a few faint spots running in a straight line between the 2 dark brown lines.

-4. There is no white on him? Which I thought was weird??? Florida, Spotted, Gator all have a primarily white body. He's dark brown on top and tan on this bottom

And maybe I jumped to conclusions, when you search hi and low almost everyday for 6 months straight looking for a specific fish, you have all 3 habitats set-up or in the process of being set-up and you see Alligator Gar "Atractosteus spatula" on his tank your heart stops, you drill the owner and he answers every question right you go for it. Maybe I jumped the gun on him and I'll learn from my mistakes but don't say I'm not ready for a Gator. I'm more than ready.

As for Florida and Spotteds, I'm not denying how cool they are, I have both a Florida and a confirmed Spotted(Although I completely disagree with how they ID them) I love them but I don't want another I want a Gator, I've been planning for a Gator, I'm ready for a Gator

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ViperCLKGTR;2627990; said:
Yes I've been looking up Alligator Gar daily for the last 6 months... When in the shop when I was iding him I was 90% certain it was a Alligator

-1. His snout was wider than the rest of his body and rather short compared to my Florida and Spotted snouts when they were as big as he was -- doubt this is the case as the head (near the eye area) is likely wider than the snout. gators have wide snouts, but not wider than the rest of the body...this is not the case with any gar of normal health...if the snout were wider than the body it would make for quite the awkward looking fish.

-2. I have never seen a Florida/Spotted Gar at 6 or 7 inches in which the primary color was brown. -- you can't go by color alone with gars, although the natural base color of any juvenile Florida or spotted gar is brown, often with darker brown lateral and dorsal striping, along with often a white underbelly...not sure which juvenile FL/spotteds you've seen in the past, plus sometimes coloration is open to some interpretation.

-3. Again at this size they should already have developed spots on their body.... When my Florida was 5 inches long and when my Spotted was 5 inches long they both already had very well defined spots, the Gar in question has no defined spots on his body at 6 inches only markings are a dark brown stripe down his back and side and faint spots on his fins and a few faint spots running in a straight line between the 2 dark brown lines.
-- no. development in juveniles is variable and depends on a lot of different factors, food type/availability, water parameters, temperature, etc etc the list goes on. going by when spots develop is not a proper diagnostic especially since that is not used for instantaneous ID.

-4. There is no white on him? Which I thought was weird??? Florida, Spotted, Gator all have a primarily white body. He's dark brown on top and tan on this bottom -- no, these gars are not primarily white. they are usually primarily light brown with some darker brown/blackish lateral striping. sometimes near the area of the stripe there is some white, but the white coloration is usually on the belly. the white dorsal line that is often listed as diagnostic of alligator gar juveniles actually fades at a very small size (often 2-3") and is also found in Cubans, so it's not necessarily species-specific as a diagnostic.

And maybe I jumped to conclusions, when you search hi and low almost everyday for 6 months straight looking for a specific fish, you have all 3 habitats set-up or in the process of being set-up and you see Alligator Gar "Atractosteus spatula" on his tank your heart stops, you drill the owner and he answers every question right you go for it. Maybe I jumped the gun on him and I'll learn from my mistakes but don't say I'm not ready for a Gator. I'm more than ready.

As for Florida and Spotteds, I'm not denying how cool they are, I have both a Florida and a confirmed Spotted(Although I completely disagree with how they ID them) I love them but I don't want another I want a Gator, I've been planning for a Gator, I'm ready for a Gator
- in response to your last statements...how did you research the ID for a gator gar? for a Florida? spotted? how did you confirm your spotted gar's ID, was it based on locality?
if you looked up alligator gar ID you should have surely come across the AP ID threads or at least primitivefishes.com...at which point those photos clearly indicate that the fish you have is not a gator...alligator gar juveniles are quite distinct from all other gar species juveniles in that they have a much stockier body (relative to other species) and a very short, broad snout. the photo here shows a typical alligator gar juvenile at about 6"

if you compare this to your fish you will see that they look nothing alike other than they are both species of gars.

richard is correct in that a lot of these basic fish ID skills should be in place before moving to one of the most challenging species of the family. best of luck regardless--
--solomon

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Too much talk guys and not enough Gator Gar pics.
If you got one please post, mine is now 16 inches and growing thicker and broader in the body.

Jan 14 2009 Fishroom pics 002.jpg

Jan 14 2009 Fishroom pics 003.jpg

Jan 14 2009 Fishroom pics 004.jpg

Jan 14 2009 Fishroom pics 001.jpg

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Ramesh;2643749; said:
Too much talk guys and not enough Gator Gar pics.
If you got one please post, mine is now 16 inches and growing thicker and broader in the body.
in reality the talk is much more useful than just random posting of gator gar pics...even if the pics are interesting to look at, they do nothing for actual advancement of knowledge of the species or group--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store