Always clean up your Fahaka's messes..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Long story short..

My 10" Fahaka was in his 120g by himself.

A friend adopted an 8" blue lobster from PetCo and wanted to feed it to Fahaka.

Came over, de-clawed it.. Fed the claws to the Fahaka. He couldn't crack em open, so we would see if he could take on the lobster.

He killed the lobster but hardly ate any of it, so I pulled it out after he snacked on it for about an hour. Forgot about the claws :(

The next day the tank stunk like ammonia and the claws were all fuzzy. I tried doing lots of water changes, ammo-lock, aquarium salt, etc, etc.. Whatever I could to try to save him, but he just got worse over a 3 day period. Today he passed. I was very sad, as he was a prized fish.

It looked as if he had ammonia burn on his back, as some of his skin was deteriorating.. I thought it could have been a parasites from the crustacean, but not likely due to the smell of the tank.

RIP Fahakers.

Gives me reason to get a Mbu though? Still sucks.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Sorry Miles!

Didnt realize that a leftover claw could do so much damage in a 24 hour period!

me_wee_todded

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Permian Basin
www.myspace.com
ahh bro that sucks so bad man

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
That's a hell of a thing. I'm wondering if you kept his tank so clean you didn't really have much biological filtration built up to handle the load.

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
sorry to hear about that, i'm fond as hell of my Mbu and would be very upset to loose that fish. i keep trying to poke around to make sure the cray bits get eaten, so far so good "she" cleans up reasonably well.

once again sorry to hear about your lose.

jason

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I agree I didn't have a lot of bio-load built up because I fed him very lightly. (2-3 krill a day, with one large feeding before water change day.)

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
shoefreak03;693508; said:
sorry Miles for your lost. I lost my fahaka the same way except it was a piece of shrimp that i overlooked.
Same here. If my TSN doesnt get al the shrimp, I notice it gets all fuzzy the next day. Strange, its like mold but no color to it. Sorry to hear it. This will make me look closer when I feed shellfish. Thanks for the the post though. Good for future knowledge.

randy7782

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2007
utah
I recently lost my water cow, after your post I think that is what happened to me. I appreciate your post. I will have to watch for this type of thing in the future

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store