you guys think?

also i wanna know if anyone has a salt water pond?...lol

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
yup you clearly lost your mind :nilly:

I think its a sweet idea but have no idea where you would start with balancing water chemistry/ temp/ salinity etc etc. but its done with FW so why not SW. might just be alil extra work and I wouldnt do anything too sensitive. What would you be thinking of housing? Get a shark! :drool:

BossHoggin

Feeder Fish
Aug 18, 2012
Calgary AB Canada
yup you clearly lost your mind :nilly:

I think its a sweet idea but have no idea where you would start with balancing water chemistry/ temp/ salinity etc etc. but its done with FW so why not SW. might just be alil extra work and I wouldnt do anything too sensitive. What would you be thinking of housing? Get a shark! :drool:
Not trying to be rude but the amount of contradiction in this post is off the charts.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Not crazy... but probablly verrrry expensive.. and likely harder to balance everything. you see SW pools... its probably doable.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
actually larger bodies of water hold their chemistry/heat easier than smaller bodies of water.
so it might actually be a lot easier to maintain a SW pond than you think. obviously it won't be as easy as a regular pond. The main thing that I think will get you is salt. The whole reason I didn't want to go salt with my 225 is because I would need about 200 dollars worth of salt just to get it to the minimum level required for marine.
then imagine how much a "top up" will cost you?

If you live near the coast you could always do WC with actual seawater but maybe treat it for parasites etc before you top up

Main problem with a saltwater pond is all the brightly coloured interestingly shaped fish will be barely visible in a pond. especially cause they will all hang around in the rocks. It will be more like having a piece of ocean in your garden then having an actual pond.

Oh, and when I was in Tenerife (Canary Islands) all the pools on the island are saltwater, and they even had crabs going into them during the night from the beach. the main difference here though, is in a saltwater pool you probably aren't keeping up any particular amount of salinity

stopani88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
rochester NY
actually larger bodies of water hold their chemistry/heat easier than smaller bodies of water.
so it might actually be a lot easier to maintain a SW pond than you think. obviously it won't be as easy as a regular pond. The main thing that I think will get you is salt. The whole reason I didn't want to go salt with my 225 is because I would need about 200 dollars worth of salt just to get it to the minimum level required for marine.
then imagine how much a "top up" will cost you?

If you live near the coast you could always do WC with actual seawater but maybe treat it for parasites etc before you top up

Main problem with a saltwater pond is all the brightly coloured interestingly shaped fish will be barely visible in a pond. especially cause they will all hang around in the rocks. It will be more like having a piece of ocean in your garden then having an actual pond.

Oh, and when I was in Tenerife (Canary Islands) all the pools on the island are saltwater, and they even had crabs going into them during the night from the beach. the main difference here though, is in a saltwater pool you probably aren't keeping up any particular amount of salinity
+1 as far as not really being able to enjoy your fish properly.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Thanks for the info but I'm not really concern on price as I use to deal
with wholesale for a bit so usually get if not all items I buy/purchase at
wholesale prices unless we're talking about the cost of the materials and
cost to build what I have in mind... Then that I know it will cost me many
pretty pennies!... Lol

Well my plan isn't really a salt water pond but to clarify a shark lagoon or
pool. Once I purchase a new property the plan is to build it in my backyard
in the diameter of 22' & 6' in depth; or in those similar dimensions in the
shape of a elongated oval or sort above ground... Now my concerns are
would it be safe? How and what method would I use to retain a favorable
temperature for the sharks? Would I need any sorts of temperature control
unit or can I take it to advantage that I live in Southern California and let
nature heat & cool the lagoon? So many things are running through my mind
right now so I'll stop here for now...

superemone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2010
USA
There's a guy on rc with a saltwater pond. He has a viewing panel down basement. Very sweet looking. His SPS were impressive!

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
can you share the link? i'd like to see that.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
There is a lfs by me(Aquatica in Tinley Park, IL) that has a salt water pond in it with black tip reef sharks. The pond is roughly 20x10x3 so it is doable, no idea as to equipment or upkeep involved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store