ANOTHER SUCCESS IN TREATING HEXAMITA OR SPIRONUCLEUS. (Bloat)

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
This forum and posts from members such as RD and others have become a valuable tool in successful fish keeping. I thank you!

I cannot say enough good things about 3% magnesium sulfate treatment for GI problems with my African cichlids. I should make it known that I have not had one fish in my main tank ever contract such diseases, only fish I have brought home from lfs and put in my hospital tank.

The first two fish I had with GI problems were some juvenile mbunas, I caught it early. When I brought them home they were most likely overfed at lfs. I noticed their abdomens heavily distended and ballooning out with long white stringy detritus despite me discontinuing feedings. They were still interested in food so I then mixed a 3% solution of magnesium sulfate and tank water. I soaked some NLS cichlid pellets in the magnesium sulfate solution, only dropping enough liquid on the pellets that can be fully absorbed. 24 hrs later, the two mbuna had cleared their bowels, had no abdominal distention and a greatly increased appetite. I kept the same treatment x2 more days and then moved them to main tank.

Last week I had a small bumblebee mbuna from petco that stopped eating and started showing signs of a sunken belly with long stringy white detritus while in my quarantine/hospital tank. Since the fish was spitting out the pellets, the magnesium sulfate soaked food was useless. I decided to inject the 3% solution directly into the fishes stomach. The problem with this is that the fish is less than 2 inches and has such a small esophageal opening, baby syringes and small tubing typically used would not work. I grabbed a 22 gauge needle set (for starting IV fluid) and small 5 mil syringe from work. (I work in radiology) I caught the fish and laid it out on some wet O.R. towels also acquired from work. I didn't want to perforate the stomach or bowel, so I only used the sharp part of the needle to make it past the esophageal opening. Once the tip of the needle was in, I advanced the plastic catheter into the fishes stomach. I injected about 1.25 ml of the magnesium sulfate solution into the stomach. I watched the stomach expand and felt the stomach from the outside to make sure I wasn't over filling stomach too much. What's a bit funny, the fish vomited it all back up just like humans do when we inject radiologic contrast into their stomachs too fast. I injected another 1.25 ml into stomach very slowly this time, then placed the fish back in quarantine tank.

5-6hrs passed and the little bumblebee was vigorously swimming and darting around as if he was healthy again. The fish's appetite was certainly back, so I fed two small soaked pellets in the magnesium sulfate solution and she did not spit it out. I continued the soaked pellets x 2 more days then moved the fish to main tank.

I advise anyone trying this on a small fish that it probably has a low success rate if you are not very careful. The stomach is paper thin and easy to perforate. It doesn't help that the swim bladder is in such close proximity to the stomach. Any perforated bowel or stomach has a chance of damaging swim bladder as well. I would only use this method as a last resort. Again, I cannot thank RD and other forum members For all of their valuable information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store