Any FIN cutters out there?

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Yep done it a few times on my own fish and friends fish.

Usually to aros that have gotten into a fight and their fins have grow back stumpy or a little messed up.

Its really no big deal at all. You sedate the fish and the procedure is done within a minute or two. Then the fins grow back normally. No different as to when a fish gets into a fight.

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I trimmed the tail of my Clown Barb to slow him up. He was terrorizing the other fish, but I wanted to keep him.

It worked great. He didn't stop chasing the other fish but he had to work twice as hard to go only half the speed. The other fish easily alluded him and he tired out quickly. I trimmed about half his tail every few months.

Otolith

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Louisiana
Jeox;4124932; said:
I have a fish i'd like to try it on, but he is a lionfish, so I don't know how well that would work.
+1, My lion fish has this weird bump on his caudal. I'm guessing an encysted parasite or old scar tissue. However its not unsightly enough to warrant risk getting spiked.

BODYDUB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Killeen
Wow, I never would have thought of fin cutting as an option. I'd be too worried about me permanently messing something up.........

LemonHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2007
Steve_89;4125646; said:
Yep done it a few times on my own fish and friends fish.

Usually to aros that have gotten into a fight and their fins have grow back stumpy or a little messed up.

Its really no big deal at all. You sedate the fish and the procedure is done within a minute or two. Then the fins grow back normally. No different as to when a fish gets into a fight.
I wish u were closer.. :(

Spearo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
LA, CA
Are you aware that there is scientific evidence to suggest that fish are incapable of feeling pain?

Scientists say the CNS (Central Nervous System) of fish is not developed enough to feel pain. They can only sense damage, and are instinctively driven to preserve themselves from further damage.

So trimming a fishes fins will not cause it any pain.

If you do not believe this, go do a search and some reading.

stevenrox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
I AM LEGEND!
I know a friend who cut the tail of him azul peacock bass from fighting and a fin of a super red arowana because it started to grow funny!

RedBellyRhen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Michigan
I would do it on my piranhas due to fighting but they're piranhas, no point in fixing it if it's going to most likely get jacked up again in the future. Plus I really wouldn't see it as anything different than us getting our hair cut.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store