Any FIN cutters out there?

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
Cropping dog ears is done to prevent their ears from looking like your fishes fins.And docking tails had no purpose in fighting dogs.tail docking was highly frowned upon with true dog fighters back in the day.no dog with any heart at all will even be close to a tail! Is trimming fins really any different than piercings fins??I'm again piercing n tattoos on fish by the way. But wouldn't have any problem trimming fins!what if your fish has fin rot on the ends.would you trim then or just add chemicals for treatment??trimming fins isn't any different than me trimming my parrots feathers, or cropping ears, or removing dewclaws, or trimming your pets toenails.

zachery120

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
colorado
My O had bad looking fins they were black but he/she got in to a fight with my female JD the JD rip of the fins and now they look good. So if you do it right i do not see it as a bad thing.

a6715s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Nebraska
Snowflake311;4132340;4132340 said:
That the oldschool way to ID a dog. The more common way now is with a micro chip. The tatoo can be altered and is not the best way to permanitly ID a dog. To check if a female has been spayed all they have to do is Shave the belly of the dog and they can see a scar most of the time. Then they know the dog is Fix. I was a Vet tech and worked at the SPCA. Just wanted to clear that up now back to fish.

If the fish does not bleed when triming the finsl I don't think it will cause much pain. Just stress like clipping dogs nails. If you hit the quick it hurts them if you only get the nail it does not hurt even if they act like it does.
This place both microchips and tatoos the dogs. They said the tattoo is specifically to indicate that she's already fixed. Without it, they said they would do exploratory surgery to make sure (only if the dog was lost and adopted out again). I thought it was weird, but whatever. She's mine now.

They spayed her at 8 weeks; her scar is really tiny and hard to see. She has a serial number tatooed next to it which is basically invisible (she has a hairy belly). This was only 4-5 years ago. It was a sketchy, redneck pound, so I hoped their methods weren't standard.

A

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
BRUNER247;4132373; said:
Cropping dog ears is done to prevent their ears from looking like your fishes fins.And docking tails had no purpose in fighting dogs.tail docking was highly frowned upon with true dog fighters back in the day.no dog with any heart at all will even be close to a tail! Is trimming fins really any different than piercings fins??I'm again piercing n tattoos on fish by the way. But wouldn't have any problem trimming fins!what if your fish has fin rot on the ends.would you trim then or just add chemicals for treatment??trimming fins isn't any different than me trimming my parrots feathers, or cropping ears, or removing dewclaws, or trimming your pets toenails.
Trimming parrots feathers is painless- cropping dogs ears is actually cutting into nerves, causing bleeding and pain- Same with docking tails and removing dewclaws- Trimming toenails is painless. So you're kinda not really making any point. These are all completely different when compared eachother.

I am against fin cutting, but I can see how it wouldn't harm the fish if it's on the "webbing" of the fins though.

As far as ID's for dogs go... they tattoo and microchip, and not all dogs that are spayed have scars. There are few and far between vets that don't have to open up a female completely to find the ovaries. I was lucky to find one who can find it simply by feeling around, and yeah.. there is no scar, just a small pimple size bump.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
disagree with the tail thing. painless. iv had dog that had it done and it never botherd them. also had a dog that should have had it done but we didnt then she got too old. def was a huge henderance to her.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cecropia;4131367; said:
People trim puffer teeth all the time. As long as you don't cut the meaty base of the fin and use a tranquilizer (not dilute clove oil, which risks accidental euthanasia) I don't see what the problem is.
Sorry if it seems like i'm nitpicking here, but normally people trim a puffers beak for reasons of survival, i.e. teeth are overgrown so much that the puffer can no longer eat... where as with fin nipping, it seems more to be for aesthetic reasons???

So i've got mixed feelings about this, i mean if clipping the fish's fins will help its survival / health issues then i would consider cutting them, but if its just purely for looks, then i would probably steer away...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
it can als be done to fix fins that dont allow the fish to move correctly. my one gar has a bad f'd up front fin that needs fixed to help his mobility but i dont want to. he can get around just not 100% just 99%.

of course that perticular gar currently has a very bad rear fin from a scrap with the big boy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store