Any one have bowfins?

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
I have one roughy 16". I keep it with polys. And some cichlids. He is not aggressive toward tank mates only time I ever saw aggressive behavior is when I introduced a second bowfin. I since got rid of the second bowfin. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1401387095.298621.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I have one roughy 16". I keep it with polys. And some cichlids. He is not aggressive toward tank mates only time I ever saw aggressive behavior is when I introduced a second bowfin. I since got rid of the second bowfin. View attachment 1015896

Beast bowfin dude that's what I wanna keep one with is a bunch of bichirs and a arowana

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Does any one on here keep bowfins

[video=youtube;ds-joaYnlk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-joaYnlk0[/video] Ive had a lot of them this was my last one, kept him with a couple bigmouth sleeper gobys,jade sleeper goby and a spotted gar. I got most of mine in groups of 10 or 20 they were extremly aggressive to each other but not to other tank mates. This last one was killed by my dominant bigmouth sleeper goby.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
[video=youtube;ds-joaYnlk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-joaYnlk0[/video] Ive had a lot of them this was my last one, kept him with a couple bigmouth sleeper gobys,jade sleeper goby and a spotted gar. I got most of mine in groups of 10 or 20 they were extremly aggressive to each other but not to other tank mates. This last one was killed by my dominant bigmouth sleeper goby.
Nice one man ima get one for sure when I find one I want a tank of nothin but prehistoric fish .... Ima have one one day as soon as I find one lom

bigme213

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
Yeah they're awsome fish. Mines abt 8" now raised from a fingerling. Very aware of things outside the tank. I can show him a pc of tilapia and he will follow my hand to the surface and take it from my fingers. I really enjoy him. Very cool fish. U won't regret having one

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Yeah they're awsome fish. Mines abt 8" now raised from a fingerling. Very aware of things outside the tank. I can show him a pc of tilapia and he will follow my hand to the surface and take it from my fingers. I really enjoy him. Very cool fish. U won't regret having one

Where did u get yours?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I figured they did since they r the cousin to snakeheads
Maybe in appearance, but that's all. They are very, very distantly related.

Bowfin threads show up here from time to time. You can catch them all over the place, but ask your local fishermen to find the right spots. They seem to be present all over, but certain ponds and rivers seem to hold more than others. From what I've read on MFK they are usually great fish, but many of them become aggressive when they get to a large size. However, as was stated in this thread there are many exceptions.

I had a lot of luck using a mesh crayfish trap in the spring. Each trap was loaded with 20 or so at about 2" long after 24 hours. Just watch out cuz we also caught sirens and water snakes!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store