Any shark fishermen here?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Any tips on what reel to go with? I'd prefer to go big, how big of a shark can a 12/0 senator handle? I've already got an Abu Garcia Ambassador Big Game 7000 and a Shimano Tiara (which I've forgotten the size of) that could probably handle some smaller sharks, around 4-5 foot or so. Would I be good for pretty much anything if I buy a 12/0, or should I invest in a 14 or even 16/0? Thanks!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Any tips on what reel to go with? I'd prefer to go big, how big of a shark can a 12/0 senator handle? I've already got an Abu Garcia Ambassador Big Game 7000 and a Shimano Tiara (which I've forgotten the size of) that could probably handle some smaller sharks, around 4-5 foot or so. Would I be good for pretty much anything if I buy a 12/0, or should I invest in a 14 or even 16/0? Thanks!
Can't go wrong w/ the Penn International series, but the reels you got can handle some fishage. I have caught sharks from the surf in the 4-5' range on 20lb mono, actually as well as fish twice the breaking strength rating. A good fisherman knows how to use his drag and if you're in a boat, a good engine guy will know what to do. What type of sharks do you plan on fishing for and where and how?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Can't go wrong w/ the Penn International series, but the reels you got can handle some fishage. I have caught sharks from the surf in the 4-5' range on 20lb mono, actually as well as fish twice the breaking strength rating. A good fisherman knows how to use his drag and if you're in a boat, a good engine guy will know what to do. What type of sharks do you plan on fishing for and where and how?
Likely anything I can catch off of the southern NC coast. On the new rod, I'll be targeting blacktip, blacknose, bulls, duskies, sand tigers, sandbars, spinners, scalloped hammerheads, and I'd like to be able to bring in the bigger great hammerheads and tiger sharks if I hook one. I've got a kayak, so I'll be doing land based fishing, at night mostly. I don't have a boat, but I may be able to use one occasionally. The only reason I went with senators is because theyre in my price range, and everything I've heard about them says that they last a long time and can take some serious wear and tear.

Reactions: Frank Castle

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Shimano TLDs sound like they'd be right up your alley. Cheaper reel but super reliable. Most charters use them if they use shimano so you should be able to pick a few up. If you have a kayak just put the reels on free spool on the beach then paddle your bait to the desired distance then drop them and paddle back

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Shimano TLDs sound like they'd be right up your alley. Cheaper reel but super reliable. Most charters use them if they use shimano so you should be able to pick a few up. If you have a kayak just put the reels on free spool on the beach then paddle your bait to the desired distance then drop them and paddle back
That's what I was thinking if doing. I'll have to compare the senators to the TLDs, the 12/0 senator holds 800 yards of 80 pound mono and it's only $350, and I've seen 16/0s go for only like $550, I'll check though

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I just looked, the biggest TLD is two-speed, and costs the same as a 12/0 senator - only problem is that it's got half the line capacity.

If I had the money, I'd sure as hell go and buy an Avet. I'm not super loaded, I think I've settled on the 14/0 senator. I'm likely going to buy either two 600 yard or one 1,200 yard spool if Tuf-Line XP (200 pound test) and then some 300-400 yards of 200 pound mono and fill that sucker to the brim with line. I'm thinking a Bimini knot or a spider hitch in the braid, and then an improved Bristol knot to hold the braid to mono word be a strong enough connection.

My rig will likely be BlacktipH's big shark rig. I'll post it in about an hour, I have to go real quick. I'll post the list of other stuff I will get too.

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That's what I was thinking if doing. I'll have to compare the senators to the TLDs, the 12/0 senator holds 800 yards of 80 pound mono and it's only $350, and I've seen 16/0s go for only like $550, I'll check though
I just looked, the biggest TLD is two-speed, and costs the same as a 12/0 senator - only problem is that it's got half the line capacity.

If I had the money, I'd sure as hell go and buy an Avet. I'm not super loaded, I think I've settled on the 14/0 senator. I'm likely going to buy either two 600 yard or one 1,200 yard spool if Tuf-Line XP (200 pound test) and then some 300-400 yards of 200 pound mono and fill that sucker to the brim with line. I'm thinking a Bimini knot or a spider hitch in the braid, and then an improved Bristol knot to hold the braid to mono word be a strong enough connection.

My rig will likely be BlacktipH's big shark rig. I'll post it in about an hour, I have to go real quick. I'll post the list of other stuff I will get too.
i learned along time ago, when you're reel shopping, don't JUST consider the line capacity.....for larger fish and reels that will take a beating like these Flathead catfish can administer, I have decided the number of ball bearings seems to really matter just as much and a good drag system w/ multiple controlling mechanisms. Also, the gear ratio....consider how it will affect your stamina during battle

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Do you think it would be a better idea to start with a 9/0 setup, that way I can get into it and THEN get a 14/0 setup? I really want to catch those big tigers and hammers, but I'd probably better start with sandbars, blacktips, sand tigers, and the like. Can I catch those medium, 5-8' sharks on a 14/0 and still have it be a fun fight, or will it be like reeling in a bluegill on a big muskie rod?

My starting setup will likely be:
•Penn Senator 9/0
•Penn Senator boat rod (60-80 lbs class, 6'6")
•Berkley big game mono, 50 lb test main line
•Berkley big game mono, 80 lb test topshot (50-100 yards)
•Braid power play fighting belt and harness (I'll start out with high quality in case I get a bigger setup)

My rig would start with a 4/0 (350 pound test) Rosco barrel swivel, tied onto the topshot. A 2.3 mm thimble will go into this, and then a 7' section of weed whacker line (around 600 pound test) will be double-crimped onto here. At the other end of this trace will be a thimble, going through a 6/0 (600 pound) swivel, and also through a 200 pound coastlock snap for a sinker. At the other end of the 600 pound swivel is a 26" trace of no. 15 AFW tooth proof cable (240 pound test), which is haywire twisted to the swivel. The trace is two pieces of cable twisted together, for strength. At the other end is a 12/0 circle hook.

Sound good?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Personally I'd top out at the 9/0 senator. The 14/0 setup is for 1000lb+ plus fish. Hate to say it that won't be happening for you from the beach. By shimano reel do you mean the Tiagra? If you have a 30W that'd be perfect. I think you'd probably max out at a 300lb fish if you're lucky and Tiagra's handle tuna at that size with ease. The 30W they will be fun on and then the 50W will reel them in with ease. As for your rig keep it simple. A lot of hardware means more points for failure. I'd stick with an 8-10/0 size hook personally since I'd be targeting sharks 4-5ft range.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Personally I'd top out at the 9/0 senator. The 14/0 setup is for 1000lb+ plus fish. Hate to say it that won't be happening for you from the beach. By shimano reel do you mean the Tiagra? If you have a 30W that'd be perfect. I think you'd probably max out at a 300lb fish if you're lucky and Tiagra's handle tuna at that size with ease. The 30W they will be fun on and then the 50W will reel them in with ease. As for your rig keep it simple. A lot of hardware means more points for failure. I'd stick with an 8-10/0 size hook personally since I'd be targeting sharks 4-5ft range.
I'm going with the 9/0 definitely now. The 14/0, like you said, is for the real big UN's h which rarely happens where I live. Im in southern NC - if I were in Florida, that's a different story. But NC doesn't have many large hammers, we have scalloped hammers. Biggest thing you'll see here is the occasional bull and maybe once or twice a year, tigers will come through. I don't even think that my tiagra is a 30 wide, I'm pretty sure it's smaller. I would check, but I'm out of town ATM. The rig is used by BlacktipH (shark fishijg guys in florida, seocnd most popular fishing channel on YT) for sharks up to 8 foot, so I should be fine there. Hook, I'll probably keep the 12/0 circles - eliminate those smaller fish from getting the bait, but still be able to get anything 4' plus. With everything that I'll need to buy, it will add up to $750. That's for a rod, reel, line, all the terminal tackle to make 10 rigs (plus plenty leftover stuff - swivels are the expensive part), crimpers, wire cutters, pliers, gloves, bolt cutters, a hammer, some conduit (for rod holder), some tail rope, and a fighting belt/harness.

Those prices are from Amazon, if I looked on eBay I probably find stuff a little cheaper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store