anyone had this problem

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
gaz025;4212106; said:
hey t1. did you say that the symptoms started after you added salt the first time ?

if it was the salt it could have upset the extra sensative p14 and then the waterchanges daily after might have slowed down the recovery .

its only a guess obviously but the only things you have changed are adding salt that they werent used to and then the additional water changes.

how about reduce feeding and water changes back to normal instead of adding more salt ?

they were fine before the salt. the salt is all but gone so maybe just give them time to get over the sudden changes . dosing with something ray safe might be handy just in case but if the p14s are that sensative i would want to speak to someone who had used that product with p14s before adding it . just to prevent further issues.

hope it gets sorted richard and you get them feeding again . good luck

well i have never found p14to be that sensative to anything in the past

if it is a parasite then it came in on one of 2 fish but i cant see that it was

lince cat was kept at a shop for 1 month after being imported
the new leo not sure of its history but it was captive bred

im going to treat with esha 2000 as i know thats 100% ray safe as i have used it with p14 in the past

gaz025

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
LEEDS UK
personally , going on what ive read and i know people have genuine parasite problems etc but i think parasites are blamed too easily for problems that were unexplained which could have been any number of things.

if it wasnt for you saying it was just after adding salt and then subsiquent water changes i would have looked to the local water supply for additional chemicals or new treatments as im told they sometimes do in warmer weather.

out of interest how much salt did you add ? how what were the water changes in the days after and what do you normally change a week ?
in that big tank youve got it must be hard to get rid of uneaten food ? could that be a problem if the rays arnt eating as they should ?

alanm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
UK
the leo is captive bred been in uk since 5 weeks old so quite a few months rich with no problems as you could tell by the body weight it was holding it was in excellent health evident as it survived from its recent attack from the p14 male

i beleive it to be a water problem its a fairly new system and you have fed a lot of food just of late the hma filter has probally reached its end i change mine every 2 months

also as mentioned there is usally several extra elements added to the water and the start of the hot weather jake is also having problems

Mark Huveneers

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
Netherlands
Hi Richard,

I am quite surprised that someone says Tremazol is not safe. We have treated more than 100 rays and never lost one from the treatment. As long as you know what your doing it is perfectly safe.
In the wrong hands anything can be dangerous ... even a teaspoon.

I would not be saying this if I thought there was the slightest chance of it harming your rays.
Fellow raykeepers in Germany will back this. People like Thomas Peters and Björn Zimny have treated rays with this for years.

Prazipro is based on the same ingredient, praziquantel.

Mike has used this on all his wild imports aswell if I am correct. Ask him how dangerous it is.

If your rays are really suffering from gill parasites the salt will not do the job.

Whatever you do, do what you think is best. I know you love these suckers and it would be a shame if anything happened to them.

Greetings Mark

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
gaz025;4212229; said:
personally , going on what Ive read and i know people have genuine parasite problems etc but i think parasites are blamed too easily for problems that were unexplained which could have been any number of things.

if it wasn't for you saying it was just after adding salt and then subsiquent water changes i would have looked to the local water supply for additional chemicals or new treatments as I'm told they sometimes do in warmer weather.

out of interest how much salt did you add ? how what were the water changes in the days after and what do you normally change a week ?
in that big tank youve got it must be hard to get rid of uneaten food ? could that be a problem if the rays arnt eating as they should ?

their is never any uneaten food left in my tank and it would be easy to see as the tank has no decor

i have only fed what the other fish in the tank would eat if the p14 wanted to eat they have the chance

i think i may have put something wrong the salt was added when 1 of the p14 had the problem and the female leo go beat up i have never added salt to my tank in the past but thats what i was advice to do

i used API aquarium salt which said on the box treats 460 gal i added 2 boxes so less than recommend

esha 2000 is fine with ray i have used it many times before

alanm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
UK
rich

i would still try salt first in your system you need 14kg its a lot of salt do it over a few days keep it in for a couple of weeks just top up with fresh water dont change any water

after that i would speak with aquaman or waterlfe directly

jakethesnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2006
Sussex, UK
Like the problems ive been having with my pair of BD x king henlei. Thought they were gonna die a few times however all other fish like aro, dat, and marble motoros were happy as larry. From slow barely breathing with eye sunk in to heavy deep breathing and curling of disc.

My water is fine regards to 0 ammonia, nitrite and barely 0 nitrates but I still put it down to water quailty issues wether being problems with my tap water or something in tank.
There is something in there causing them distress but guess i'll never find out.
Tried everything to get them back to normal but given up and just gonna sit out.

Slowly getting there now and even started eating slightly.

Poss thinking its something to do with hikari pellet so their not getting anymore of that, even if wont eat anything else for a month.

Chuck 14kg of salt in there for a week and let them get on with it. I dont think its any parasite, your just paranoid ;)

jakethesnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2006
Sussex, UK
PS if you are gonna treat for parasite, maybe use Kusuri wormer plus, which is Flubendazole.
Made for discus and perfectly ray safe and easily obtainable.

5g treats 500 gallons

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store