Anyone have any hybrid projects going on?

tthompson67e1r9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
I said “nearly all” f1 look like trash. It’s a lottery to find one worth a damn. To can talk all you want, actions speak louder than words and I back up what I talk. I have grown thousands and and thousands of F1 hybrids out to 9 months so I have a pretty damn good understanding of what you will get. I don’t do this early culling bullshit like everyone claims. F2s, yes will be all over the place if inbred. That’s what happens when you start paring up recessive alleles.

tthompson67e1r9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
Your F1 generation lookin glike garbage isn’t an issue. Pick the ones you like the best and cross them to one another. That F2 generation will be all over the map. Lots and lots of phenotypes. That’s where you will find the pheno you want- and then you pick the best exemplars and breed them... from there you cull anything that doesn’t represent your type and you cull pairs that throw high percentage of fry that aren’t to type.
Do you have any examples your own work? Or are you regurgitating rhetoric like all the Asian fanboys??? Most people in the hybrid talk the talk but can’t walk the walk. I try to offer friendly advice because this is kinda what I do...:.argue, give em static all you want. But unless you got proof of your stance I dont care what you got to say. I can post photos all day of my creations, can you?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I said “nearly all” f1 look like trash. It’s a lottery to find one worth a damn. To can talk all you want, actions speak louder than words and I back up what I talk. I have grown thousands and and thousands of F1 hybrids out to 9 months so I have a pretty damn good understanding of what you will get. I don’t do this early culling bullshit like everyone claims. F2s, yes will be all over the place if inbred. That’s what happens when you start paring up recessive alleles.
I quoted this response of yours rather than the next one, because it’s obvious you agree- even if you want to come back with an argumentative tone in follow up.

the OP has ditched what 3 different sets of F1s becuase he didn’t see what he wanted too- seems like he Doesn’t understand that inbreeding F1 will get you the diversity of phenotypes where you find what you want.

your fish you posted is an f3. Post some pics of his parents and there siblings at 3” and show us all what’s up, you know it, I know it, and we agree on it. Don’t let being a hot head mess up your POV.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Do you have any examples your own work? Or are you regurgitating rhetoric like all the Asian fanboys??? Most people in the hybrid talk the talk but can’t walk the walk. I try to offer friendly advice because this is kinda what I do...:.argue, give em static all you want. But unless you got proof of your stance I dont care what you got to say. I can post photos all day of my creations, can you?
If you think I’m regurgitating plug it into google and find what I plagerized. Hot head trying to find trouble.

Reactions: Bbuckley

tthompson67e1r9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
Here’s his f2 father, and his jag mother. https://fb.watch/5c5SbKLpdK/, first photo his father at 5-6”, next photo was when he was 2.5-3” these are f2. The next 3 photos are of his grand parents. Ugly ass f1 female jag horn and and f1 goldenbase (I produced f1 cross from other goldenbase so technically not f1) and the last photo is of the f0 great grandparents on the fatherside.

18BDC678-CDBB-494E-9757-F374B6767614.png

5A465F64-48E8-4843-A355-BA777F0FA07B.jpeg

D7435C47-12C0-4D28-A743-3AC5AA1FF0DB.jpeg

7E47D43B-164B-4F1E-8ECD-059EAE1C4F72.jpeg

6A241A45-1F61-4482-8B44-D8F3A2205377.jpeg

E795A24D-2E94-442F-9FD7-E20B1C95308B.jpeg

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I just checked them out. Awesome. Well documented. And really cool project But it looks like he’s not an F3. Look like he’s F1 of a polyhybrid? Or a backcross to the jag. Easier to read / visualize a pedigree when it’s in front of you- but you know what- he’s a poly hybrid and won’t breed true. And you know it and I know it. And even if he was an actual F3 cross he’d still not breed true. This isn’t punnet squares. I don’t have to post pictures to be an engaged informed participant in the conversation, and if you had dropped that same science to the OP that you called me out for- in your initial response when you mentioned F1 being rough and showing a nice “F3” fish I’d never have chimed in. Just liked your post and moved on.

jez I am ranting. Sorry. I’m waiting on the grill to get right.

My only hybrid fish project is HRP, Siquia and marbled convict and it’s anywhere from f4-f6 depending on which pair and look like cichlids ahubunkins.

Edited again to add apology for rant/ tone of this post. Your fish are really aesthetically pleasing.

tthompson67e1r9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2021
Yes I’m line breeding him out to look like a jag and remove the traits I don’t want. But he is still technically f3. Coming from the jag horn. Line starts with an f1 jag horn and we will say g1 of you don’t like f1 flower horn. You can call it a poly hybrid of you wakt but technically a goldenbase is pure enough breed they breed true even though they have large amounts of polymorphism. If you look at the great grand parents coming fr they fathers side they were low grade trash by most standards. Refinement comes with time and generations. Yes you can find a f1 unicorn but most likely you will be raising 500-600 fish to adult size because most fish are growers and not showers. Most people look for those 2” showers but that doesn’t mean they are the best. I’m I. The process of developing other hybrid lines from scratch. This line was to show you don’t need blood parrot to produce full red fish. He was full red when younger but lost color on his tale as I was breeding him. I got three f4 spawns growing out now bred back to jag again. At throw point I will likely I breed them as 8125s (81.2% jag) and be done as they are already close to breeding true now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store