In the caiman den
probably a florida
damn nice coloring too. i really like it

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
So I'm hearing Florida and Spotted now. Those are the two ive been debating on myself for years. Ive told most people that have seen my tank its a Florida gar, but have thought it might be a spotted gar judging by his bony, plate like features around just behind his jaw. I'd just like to know for sure if possible. I'll see if I can get a better picture of his head....or if anyone needs different pic, let me know. Thanks

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
This Looks like the best I can do with my lighting. Heres a few more pics if it helps..

Web Gar 1.jpg

Web Gar 2.jpg

Web Gar 3.jpg

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
E_amaricanus and Polypterus both say florida rather than spotted. the fact that the 2 of them agree that IT IS NOT a spotted, feel secure that IT IS NOT a spotted and that it is a florida. that and i think someone stated that the snout is too short for a spotted, which it is.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Dionysus;2844187; said:
So I'm hearing Florida and Spotted now. Those are the two ive been debating on myself for years. Ive told most people that have seen my tank its a Florida gar, but have thought it might be a spotted gar judging by his bony, plate like features around just behind his jaw. I'd just like to know for sure if possible. I'll see if I can get a better picture of his head....or if anyone needs different pic, let me know. Thanks
it's pretty pointless to figure out which it is. as captive care requirements are somewhat identical for both species

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Yeah, Mainly for peace of mind. I'll put it to rest and go with Florida. You guys have probably been around more different gar than I have, so I got trust in that, and Florida Gar is what Ive told everyone it is anyways. Thanks for the extra peace of mind guys.
BTW if anyones got a gar for sale, this one needs a tankmate. (PM me)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store