Anyone watch thier conductivity numbers?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I only have one tank I can even read on the 2K scale, and that's had RO running in it for the last week. The rest need the 20K scale to read.

My tap is around 700ms. Ph is 8.5.

I can't speculate on the UVs, mine are still in the boxes. I wouldn't think it would effect conductivity though, but then again this is all new to me so I'm clueless right now. Only thing I'm sure of is my opinions of drips have changed.... lol, and I wasn't dripping even close to enough.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Great thread

So most of us have decent luck keeping/breeding because we have good tap water, big waterchanges, and good filtration.... In turn keeps conductivity levels down fairly low

Looks like you finally found your problem DB. Im very happy for you, hopefully you can get this under control and rely start enjoying the hobby!!

Also do uvs help with this?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I don't believe uvs changes this at all. But I'm not sure. thats my pers opinion. I would think high levels would affect reproduction.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Ultraviolet light cannot change the chemistry of your water.

Db 700 uS is really crappy. I thought mine was bad around 300 . Skynoch has really high Tds .very comparable to yours. He's bred more rays than anybody I've known on this forum .He uses no ro .

Whatever you're deciding to do .... do it slow Like over the course of a month. Also adding volume to your system by means of plumbing a bunch of tanks togather ect.. May help but I don't know your situation.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The RO is just dripping straight into the big system. (waste is going down the drain lol) The numbers coming down slowly, at this rate I might be under 500 in a few weeks... lol.

Running the 1/4" tap water drip line wide open overnight to see how fast that brings the number down versus dripping RO. I only have a 150 GPD unit, so maybe this can budge it more.

Will be replacing my pond liner pond/sump with a bigger rubber maid when the filter room gets redone. Will add a little more volume. Total volume now is around 1200 gallons. Planning on adding a few tanks when the rebuild happens, should be some spare room on the pallet racks. Doing the reactors a bit different, scrapping the pot scrubbies, adding UV, and going to try some home made radial flow separators to see if I can't get some solid waste removed daily. Going to plum everything back to manual water changes.

My rays breed occasionally in this crap but there seems to be issues with them carrying them full term, Can see movement in them then one day it's just gone.

Thanks for the input guys......

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Just add sand filters with fine enough media and a higher rated pump to polish the water. Since I started mine I have no need for filter socks it's awsome but needs back washing daily but that works in my advantage physically removing water and I just go to bed and let the drippers fill it up. It may not be possible with you setup up considering where your low point is. All my sumps are overhead on top of the tank so I never can run them dry and empty as much water as needed and simply let the drippers do the rest.

150 gpd ro is all you need. 1200 gallon system I'd only drip 150 gpd of ro and 50-100 of tap. But it'd benifit you more if you could remove that volume and replace it rather than mixing it and slowly changing water.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Not physically removing is much less beneficial. Infact mixing water by means of dripping and relying on it draining is only taking care of a few parameters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store