Aquaponics Alligator Gar Housing

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If the temps don't fall that low I don't think it will be nearly as bad. My initial thoughts were that the ground temps would drag it to 50f and then the surrounding whether would drag it below. If you don't have much in the way of snow it really shouldn't be nearly as difficult as I went in thinking. I wrote it without knowing your location.

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
If the temps don't fall that low I don't think it will be nearly as bad. My initial thoughts were that the ground temps would drag it to 50f and then the surrounding whether would drag it below. If you don't have much in the way of snow it really shouldn't be nearly as difficult as I went in thinking. I wrote it without knowing your location.
Thank you for more clarification, and bringing the heating issue to my attention. I prefer to be over prepared then under in every means. So your commentary is still very much appreciated.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Gar don't seem to be a very good choice for aquaponics due to their light stocking density requirement. Catfish are a good choice....Tilapia are great(I've harvested .5lb per gallon in my 2000g reservoirs)but heating the water in your climate wouldn't be practical.​

Last edited:

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
Gar don't seem to be a very good choice for aquaponics due to their light stocking density requirement. Catfish are a good choice....Tilapia are great(I've harvested .5lb per gallon in my 2000g reservoirs)but heating the water in your climate wouldn't be practical.​
I'm not worried about the light stocking requirements of alligator gar, seeing as my other 12 tanks will provide more then enough food to both eat, sell, and develop more fish food. I simply want to try it out because I've always loved the fish.
Also by not practical, do you mean unnecessary? Or too difficult?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If he's referring to tilapia, most species prefer upper 70s, something that would be far more expensive than you could ever hope to get returns on.

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
If he's referring to tilapia, most species prefer upper 70s, something that would be far more expensive than you could ever hope to get returns on.
This is one of the reasons I'm not raising Tapila as my main stock to be honest. I have chosen hardy and cool water fish for a reason. Its much easier to cool water then it is to heat it energy wise. My fourth set of tanks is just for fun though, so I don't feel any conflict spending extra on it if that's what alligator gar require.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I'm not worried about the light stocking requirements of alligator gar, seeing as my other 12 tanks will provide more then enough food to both eat, sell, and develop more fish food. I simply want to try it out because I've always loved the fish.
Also by not practical, do you mean unnecessary? Or too difficult?
I just meant as a means to supply fertilizer for your crops, lighter stocking densities aren't ideal.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Lower 70s is warm for gar, they have nowhere near the demands of tilapia. I can't imagine you will have huge breeding success but if your going to harvest them anyway I can't imagine you can do too much wrong. The hardest part will probably be harvesting them at a reasonable size so they don't get overcrowded or get too large for the 5' width.

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
I just meant as a means to supply fertilizer for your crops, lighter stocking densities aren't ideal.
Oh, yes. I understand. I still firmly believe that 12 fully stocked tanks is more then enough for food production though, then the gars will be a bonus. I've also read that they produce an above average amount of waste, but I haven't found much information to back it up.
When alligator gars are concerned, I care more about the fish production then the crop production.

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
Lower 70s is warm for gar, they have nowhere near the demands of tilapia. I can't imagine you will have huge breeding success but if your going to harvest them anyway I can't imagine you can do too much wrong. The hardest part will probably be harvesting them at a reasonable size so they don't get overcrowded or get too large for the 5' width.
I agree. I am in no way going to try to breed gar, they take too long to reach maturity and they grow too large to be kept productively. As for harvesting, I suppose the most I could do is watch them closely and learn from experience. I'll have four different tanks dedicated to them, so I can risk a few mistakes before things become more expensive then beneficial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store