Aquarium silicone sealant comparisons

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I just watched a friend do this last year, first time I have seen it done this way. It works, for sure; takes a lot more time than I have when putting a tank together, but gives nice clean results as long as the tape is removed immediately.

With practice, you learn how to lay down the correct size of sealing bead...or, better yet, eventually how to apply the correct amount when laying down the original structural bead to have the proper amount squeeze out when placing the glass. Then just stick your finger into your mouth to moisten it, and quickly run it along all the interior seams to spread them and "concave" them. The job is finished before the guy with the tape has even managed to find the beginning of the roll and started to pick it off with his fingernails...

Tip: make sure you lick your finger before you get any silicone on it. Don't ask...:)
When taping seams try to overlap in such a way that once tape pulling has started each piece laid before is started by the one immediately after. Also, fold the end of the last piece so that you have a handle.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Fishlover420

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
Illinois
Tape your seams. Get a small paint brush and some alcohol in a small dish. Once you have laid all your beads of silicone dip the brush in the alcohol and use it to smooth the beads. This will also allow you to more smoothly feather the edges to the glass and where each seam meets. Acid brushes work really well.

That’s what I couldn’t figure out after taping how to ensure that it is good and looks right… a paint brush and alcohol! Wow ? thank you so much ? I could never figure that out… why it was still sitting. Now I’m getting busy!!!!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
One thing about alcohol... too much is not good. It will cause the silicone to not harden as much as it normally would.
Vinegar works too

Reactions: Fishlover420

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
One thing about alcohol... too much is not good. It will cause the silicone to not harden as much as it normally would.
Vinegar works too
The wet finger introduces no such problems...just sayin'...:)

If you want speed, efficiency and a nice smooth clean application...just lick that finger! :)

When taping seams try to overlap in such a way that once tape pulling has started each piece laid before is started by the one immediately after. Also, fold the end of the last piece so that you have a handle.
Yup...that's the way to use tape. I'm just saying that with a little practice, there are better methods than using tape.

Last edited:

Fishlover420

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2022
Illinois
The wet finger introduces no such problems...just sayin'...:)

If you want speed, efficiency and a nice smooth clean application...just lick that finger! :)

Yup...that's the way to use tape. I'm just saying that with a little practice, there are better methods than using tape.
All this is so helpful thank you ? for this thread ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store