Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Not a tank, it's for our scrubbers.

The Dow 795 sounded good, but it's not recommended for food, and I'm trying to stay with food-safe:
Huh...I know nothing about that application. I'm guessing you're gonna have a hard time finding a structural grade silicone that claims to be "food-safe". If there is a silicone that's been tested and used widely enough to be sure it would GE silicone 1.

Reactions: jjohnwm

phelps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2023
I think the DAP silicone is the easiest to use. But I haven't tried too many different silicones.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
SCS1200 is the best choice for Aquariums especially large ones. It has the highest tensile and sheer strength

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Scs1200-fast set, cures 5-7 days, highest strength. Pricy.

Dow 795-slow set, cures 7-21 days, not as strong. Not so pricy.

Rtv 108-somewhere in the middle of the other 2 in all qualities. Some say it's the "ideal" choice. Also pricy.

The technical specifications for each of these adhesives can be found via quick Google search if you'd like to look over the data yourself. The key is finding what you can build with the best. I started with Dow 795 since it was so workable but have branched out to other quicker sets as I improved my building skills. Even though it doesn't spec out as strong as the others it is still quite strong. Here is a 200g rimless with dow795 that has ran continuously for 2 years with turbulent flow and minimal safety factor (5/8" side and bottom seams).
View attachment 1500018
And here's a 100g sump I built out of scrap glass this past weekend for a new setup.
View attachment 1500019

If I had it to do over (and i might), I would use a higher strength silicone for the big rimless tank and use perfectly cut and polished glass. The dow795 is perfectly fine for smaller projects like the sump that I cut up in my backyard.

I've never worked with rtv108 but a lot of people swear by it. Seems like a perfect medium of qualities just by reading the spec sheet though.

What size tank(s) are you building?
You, sir, do nice work. Nice taping, proper clamping...pre-drilling holes before assembly...no visible silicone globs on every surface in sight (unlike my builds)! Beautiful. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Fish rescue

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2023
Asi" also tested very hi strenth , if rebuilding over old silicone, I'd consider sanding all the edges with about 200-300grit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store