Aquarium silicone sealant comparisons

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I'd use it. With any silicone that doesn't say aquarium safe or for building tanks I always use more than needed and test it throughly after resealing a tank just in case. If the tank were to explode they won't cover any costs of course. What are you using it for?

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
packer43064;4758063; said:
I'd use it. With any silicone that doesn't say aquarium safe or for building tanks I always use more than needed and test it throughly after resealing a tank just in case. If the tank were to explode they won't cover any costs of course. What are you using it for?

HA! I'm using it for a 3D Feature Rock background..... So nothing intense!

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Just a heads up. I used GE Silicone II black Window and Door to put dividers in my new sump. There was no mold resistant stuff in it. Within 2 days most of my fish were dead! I let it cure for 3 days and circulated water in it for 1 day before hooking it to my tank. I know people on this thread say they have used it with no problems but I will never ever use it again!!

ricoishere

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Columbia, MD
Grover;4765164; said:
Just a heads up. I used GE Silicone II black Window and Door to put dividers in my new sump. There was no mold resistant stuff in it. Within 2 days most of my fish were dead! I let it cure for 3 days and circulated water in it for 1 day before hooking it to my tank. I know people on this thread say they have used it with no problems but I will never ever use it again!!
There might have been a reaction with the acrylic or fiberglass. Sorry to hear the loss:irked:

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Mastiffman. The tank has been running for over a year and I was just installing a new sump which I used the GE II silicone for the the glass partitions. Part of the problem was I used too much and some pockets of uncured silicone were left even after several days. I didn't find this out until I was cutting out the silicone to redo it. This stuff may have been ok if I had used a small amount but I won't take a chance and use it again.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Grover;4772533; said:
Thanks Mastiffman. The tank has been running for over a year and I was just installing a new sump which I used the GE II silicone for the the glass partitions. Part of the problem was I used too much and some pockets of uncured silicone were left even after several days. I didn't find this out until I was cutting out the silicone to redo it. This stuff may have been ok if I had used a small amount but I won't take a chance and use it again.

Ah, that will do it! I'm very sorry that you had to go through this to find out. I orginally purchased some of the GE II and took it back because I had a bad feeling about it. PLus it was Kitchen and bath and I didn't realize it...

Being that it wasn't cured comelpetely that must have been the issue... I try to keep my joints small (unless it;s a repair) for that reason. YOu can usually tell by poking the silcone. It ends up feeling like rubber when it's fully cured. If there is still some uncured in the middle it will tend to feel kind of smushy... Like it won't rebound from pushing on it. Did you smell the sump on the inside at all? Did it still smell like vinegar at all?

P.S. By the way... How Large were your joints and how long did it take for you fish to start showing symptoms of sickness?

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Mastiffman;4772162; said:
So is it abnsolutely neccessary to allow the siliscone to cure for 48+hours?

The GE I celar W/D says 24hours for FULL Cure.....

P.S. Sorry grover for your loss... Did you cycle the tank at all before adding the fish?
If it says 24 hours then it's 24 hours. Waiting an extra day isn't going to kill anything....then again we just saw that putting fish in before it cures can do. That situation there was too much put on, but still. I usually wait a couple of days (for curing) then test with water and let it sit for a week somewhere. After that water test for a week, then it's all good for fish (drain tank!). Anything happening after that is just bad luck. :(

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ya in this case I waited 4 days but the pockets just didn't cure. The sump never smelled like vinegar at all. The fish started getting sick within hours and the first fish died within 24 hours. I have a thread going in setup and filtration titled " New sump now fish are sick" if you want to check it out. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382499. Not sure if this will work but I will try to give you the link to this thread. It has the whole story and pictures as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store