Aquariums in apartments/townhouse

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
How about putting you tanks in the garage? Is that an option for you?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Maybe look for an apartment that gives you access to an unfinished basement

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Talk with them and be up front. There might be a VERY good reason you can't have one, and it could come back to bite you in the end. There could be weight restrictions (even on the first floor) where the building just can't take the small footprint with such a massive amount of weight. If anything happens (like a stand failure), you'll be on the hook for the damages. They may require renters insurance or prohibit anything above a specific gallon size. Being up front and honest protects yourself and shows you are worth having as a renter.
Zoodiver does bring up a good point about weight restrictions. When I did rent and owned the 265 I was in a townhouse with a concrete slab...mainly why I didn't ask the landlord. I am also a landlord myself now and actually have a provision not allowing tanks over 100 gallons due to weight issues, but the rentals I own are rehabbed older homes otherwise I wouldn't care (fish don't piss all over the place like cats and dogs that are not properly cared for). Also do carry renters insurance. Your landlord has no legal grounds to kick you out for a big tank unless it was specified in the lease, but you certainly are responsible for any damages it may cause.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Renters insurance has been mentioned a few times but I was under the impression that renters insurance is to cover the renter's property, not the landlord's. As far as I know you can't insure someone else's property.

Many landlords either add a pet deposit or charge a monthly fee for having pets and many lease agreements I've signed do mention aquariums and waterbeds. 10G seems to be a common maximum in my area.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
I asked mine and she pulled out blue prints to help me find structurally sound area to put my 180 on the second floor.... Turns out there was extra bracing and support from a closet on 1st floor that was exact dimensions of a 180... worked well !

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I might look into that but might get a bit cold for that in the winter.
Thanks guys for the info seems like a hit or miss comes down to the landlord. I'll see what happens don't wanna keep secrets my come back to bite me

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I agree with being upfront. When I moved into my last apt I asked my landlord if aquariums were acceptable although there was nothing in the lease against it. He said it was fine, so I didn't disclose the size at that time. With that said though, that apt was a tile-like flooring directly on the concrete slab. I was still a bit nervous the first time he saw a 120 in the living room though. Keep in mind most people not in the hobby think a 55 is HUGE lol!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I might look into that but might get a bit cold for that in the winter.
If you're referring to keeping a tank in an unfinished basement then check out my 180, in the link in my sig. Its in an unfinished/unheated basement.........and I'm in New Hampshire

Rokuzachi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Oregon
I've lived in three apartments in the last 5 years - one brand new complex and two older (build in the 80's and 90's). All the landlords didn't care about the fish and when I asked if I had to pay a deposit in case of water damages/general pet fee they seem surprised that I'd even ask.

Even when I told my current apartment that I was planning on having tanks on the second story (to the tune of ~150g) they didn't much care. One of the office ladies thought it was cool, lol. Maintenance has been in my place a few times and seen my aquarium wall and not batted an eye.

I just ask up front when I'm apartment shopping and have yet to find a place that said no aquariums.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Most landlords don't mind aquariums. Just be sure to place it somewhere that the weight won't cause damage to the floor or worse. Break through. I have my 190 set up on the main level of my townhouse but I made sure to place it along load bearing walls and where there is a large support beam running along outside edge. And read all the fine print in the lease. My last apartment had a restriction on aquariums over 35 gallons which is why I waited to move before I brought my 190 out of storage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store