Aquariums in apartments/townhouse

ozone5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
california
i originally didnt tell my landlord but then i told him that i have several tanks and he came over here and he acctually enjoyed seeing them, he also told me my renters insurance may go up cause of the amount of water. so its been to clear the air before going through with it

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
renter's insurance is the big thing, just be honest with the insurance company about the size of your tanks, it doesn't affect the rate much. (not sure about HUGE aquariums as mine is only 190. but it will cover your butt if a mishap occurs.

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
I would be straight up and honest! Here in Ohio renter's limit tank size just like they limit a dog breed/size. I can only speak of my personal experiences but I have always been limited to no bigger then a 50. The reason being is that if your tank breaks your standard insurance will not cover the damage it causes. I currently have a 75 and I had to disclose it in my home owners insurance. If you get renter's insurance also be sure you disclose the size of the tanks your keeping. You'd probably have better luck with a private leasee rather then an experienced complex manager. They will almost always have a clause against big tanks.
Good luck - Amber

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
when you look for your place check out what the floor is made of its on a concrete slab I would not worry about the weight issue if its on a second floor with wood floor beams then you have to make sure that the tank is going across the floor joist and not in the same direction,usually floor joist run in the same direction as the roof rafters and make sure the tank is up against a outside wall,not towards the center of the room as it will add more stress to floor joist.keep plenty of old towels near your tanks in case of an accident. and a wet dry vacuum would not heart.Like the other people advised you get apartment INSURANCE. Its not very expensive maybe $150 to $200 a year Good luck Noel PS worked 20 years building dormers and Extensions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store