aquascaping bare bottom tank?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
You can put Slate tiles on the bottom. Easy to clean and will look fairly natural. The tiles aren't perfectly flat, they have some texture to them.

Home depot sells natural slate tile (make sure its natural slate, not ceramic!) and its only $1.25/ sq ft so it only costs $10-20 to cover a tank. You can also glue rocks or wood to it with Silicone.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
You can put Slate tiles on the bottom. Easy to clean and will look fairly natural. The tiles aren't perfectly flat, they have some texture to them.

Home depot sells natural slate tile (make sure its natural slate, not ceramic!) and its only $1.25/ sq ft so it only costs $10-20 to cover a tank. You can also glue rocks or wood to it with Silicone.

oh i like this idea!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
DSC_0610.JPG

DSC_0610.JPG

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Tile idea seems nice I think if you dont silicone them down though you will get all the poop under them?

I have seen fake grass put into tanks then weighed down with sand, it looks quite nice imo I am not sure how safe it is in an enclosed environment nor how well it would work for catfish / other bottom fish but it did add another factor to the tank.

may i ask whats on top of your tank justarn ? looks like some type of automatic vac / mini space ship xD

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Tile idea seems nice I think if you dont silicone them down though you will get all the poop under them?

I have seen fake grass put into tanks then weighed down with sand, it looks quite nice imo I am not sure how safe it is in an enclosed environment nor how well it would work for catfish / other bottom fish but it did add another factor to the tank.

may i ask whats on top of your tank justarn ? looks like some type of automatic vac / mini space ship xD
Its one of those bouncy thing for babies

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I've seen many bare bottom show tanks for Arowanas, flowerhorns and Discuss tanks in Asian fish keeping. These are fish centered display and you don't need aquauscape to distract the beauty of the fish. The only decorations I saw in these tanks are landscape backgrounds, a toy or mirror for the FWs, or a tall ceramic jar for the discus to lay eggs. These fish demand pristine water and bare bottom is almost mandatory for them to thrive.

Whereas substrate and rockscape provide plenty of hiding places for the dirt to hide until the next WC, bare bottom tanks are unforgiving and require frequent bottom siphoning and filter changes to look clean because there is no where dirt can hide. You also need larger external biological filter because without substrate and rockscape for BB to colonize, your external biological filter is comparitively more important.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Clay pot is made of natural material, and is inherently safe. Plastic is man made material, and can leach out plasterizer that is lethal to some sensitive fish, and not healthy for long term exposure to most fish. I used to have many plastic ornaments in my tanks and many of my small Tanganyican cichlids kept dying for no cause until I got rid of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store