aquascaping bare bottom tank?

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
To use the tile or clay pots would you pretreatment them in anyway, apply some sort of sealer to them or are good to go from shelf to tank?
Read what he said again paying special attention to the 'why' of his statement and then ask yourself if you want to slather some man made chemicals all over something natural.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Here's one of my 125s , I love it so easy to clean. I want to add another piece of driftwood or remove the one and get a larger one but getting a larger one might be costly. The angle makes the wood look small but it covers almost front to back and one panel of the bottom. Wish it was taller though.image.jpg

image.jpg

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Go to the polypterus forum and check out FishnCash's tank bare bottom with tile and driftwood. Great looking tank

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Here's one of my 125s , I love it so easy to clean. I want to add another piece of driftwood or remove the one and get a larger one but getting a larger one might be costly. The angle makes the wood look small but it covers almost front to back and one panel of the bottom. Wish it was taller though.View attachment 1014694
yeah my 50 is just like that and it's easy to clean

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
will clay pot not rot or something if it's been underwater for a long time?
no those red clay pots are fine, they don't rot or fall apart at all. I rarely keep them clean in tanks, but allow some thin biological stuff to grow on them because I like the natural appearance. but they are good either way.

IF pots could have been exposed to any contaminants, then just to be safe I soak for a while in bleached water, and a few soaks longer in plain water before putting in tanks.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
no those red clay pots are fine, they don't rot or fall apart at all. I rarely keep them clean in tanks, but allow some thin biological stuff to grow on them because I like the natural appearance. but they are good either way.

IF pots could have been exposed to any contaminants, then just to be safe I soak for a while in bleached water, and a few soaks longer in plain water before putting in tanks.
I see. thank you

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Read what he said again paying special attention to the 'why' of his statement and then ask yourself if you want to slather some man made chemicals all over something natural.
That's pretty rude when I was asking a realistic question! Just bc it's natural doesn't mean it can't seep something into the water to change the pH. Some "natural" stones do that and I would think clay would absolutely change your water too. Now I don't know if it's enough to matter or not!
Last I checked silicone is fish safe so I was thinking maybe it should be sealed using it.
I also know that the 3D backgrounds that people are making out of cement need to be soaked several times before the pH is equalized.
So please excuse my lack of experience with using such items that don't normally belong in an aquarium but let the man answer the question that was addressed to the OP!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Tile idea seems nice I think if you dont silicone them down though you will get all the poop under them?

I have seen fake grass put into tanks then weighed down with sand, it looks quite nice imo I am not sure how safe it is in an enclosed environment nor how well it would work for catfish / other bottom fish but it did add another factor to the tank.

may i ask whats on top of your tank justarn ? looks like some type of automatic vac / mini space ship xD
Baby walker lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store