AR 15 owners need your advice

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not mine but this is how I'd like to outfit my gun.

001.jpg

shock6906

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
Ladson, SC
I built my AR15 last year with a DTI rifle kit and a Spike's Tactical stripped lower. It's really easy to build one if you get the upper pre-assembled (which they are in the DTI kits.)

I bought the 16" rifle kit.

http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm

Add a stripped lower (such as the 90 dollar Spikes lower) and you're good to go.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=56222/pid=31719/Product/BST15_STRIPPED_AR_15_LOWER_RECEIVER

If you don't go around selecting all sorts of options on the rifle kit, you can get your AR15 out the door for right around 600 bucks by the time you include shipping and FFL transfers. Personally, I did the chrome-lined barrel and bolt carrier, and that added some cost to my rifle. The carry handle did as well, though if I knew better at the time, I'd have ordered a carry handle from somewhere else. DTI's handle is 75 bucks, which is way overpriced.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Caoboy;5053828; said:
Look up the 'box o truth' in google. Old retired guy did a bunch of 'tests' with standard drywall and studs. Made a box that is the equivalent of 6 standard house walls. Tested rifles, handguns, shotguns on it to see the difference between over penetration and the like.

In a home defense scenario, yes, a shotgun would be best. Thing of a dark firefight (more than likely a couple of shots at most) and you not having time to aim efficiently to acheive a proper stop to the threat with a handgun...and a rifle will go through your house, and into neighbors houses, whereas a shotgun will give you enough spread to not have to worry about shot placement as much as a handgun or a rifle. Now that is not to say that you can just rack and bang all throughout the house, but it takes some guesswork out of it. Then again, proper training on all firearms would make each gun a go to gun for each certain scenario.

Shotgun would be a primary weapon, handgun would be secondary. If you need a rifle, and more than a tube full of shot, and a mag or 2 per gun, you probably need a swat team, and need to be jumping out of a window and getting to safety.

Pumps are also simple, no nonsense rack and pull the trigger guns. Less chance of failing/misfeeding/misfiring/ejection problem. Rifles can jam, so can handguns, and that will put you down and out if your gun has a malfunction, whereas a shotgun really has less of a chance of this happening, due to less parts in the gun that can fail. Revolvers are the same in that sense.

Besides, the racking of a shotgun can be a very scary sound, or a turn on, depending on who you ask LOL :ROFL:
20ga would be better for most people rather than 12ga. 12 in a tight hallway is gonna be deaf-inning. you better be aiming. ur shot is what, 12in spread in the dark? yeah ur right i dont have to worry about my aim with that :duh: and it might be likly a couple of shots but id rather have more than i need than not enough.

i never said dont use a shotgun, i simply said thats gonna hurt to use in the house. not sure why you had to go on a rant but whatever floats ur boat dude

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;5054517; said:
20ga would be better for most people rather than 12ga. 12 in a tight hallway is gonna be deaf-inning. you better be aiming. ur shot is what, 12in spread in the dark? yeah ur right i dont have to worry about my aim with that :duh: and it might be likly a couple of shots but id rather have more than i need than not enough.

i never said dont use a shotgun, i simply said thats gonna hurt to use in the house. not sure why you had to go on a rant but whatever floats ur boat dude
Not a rant, just giving my opinion to others who might not know as much as us gun owners might. I didn't think that you were saying don't use a shotgun, but I was giving reasons as to why it's a 'better' home defense gun. Again, with proper training, any good would be the best home defense gun, as you know it and are much more familiar/competent with it. I never said you won't have to aim, just takes a 'little guesswork' out of it. 12" spread versus a miss because you were slightly off target is much better, right? Afterall, this is going to be when you've only had 3-4 hours of sleep and your mind not be fully awake. Enough to establish the target, but not enough to properly aim.

At the sound issue, well, have you ever heard a .40 without ear muffs? .45? 9mm? .22? It's going to be loud and echoing no matter what, and in a life or death situation, I'm willing to risk my hearing a bit to save the life of mine and my family.

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to educate others who are gun n00bs like I was...trying to tactical out my .22 rifle LOL

I also agree that it's better to have more HD ammo than what I stated. But I was saying that if you NEED more than that, more than likely, you've got a bigger problem on your hands (worst case scenario, home invasion, team of guys with guns and body armor and the like and you having stuff they really want) It's ALWAYS better to plan for the worst, and when it ends up being 1 guy that you scare off with a slide rack, then you came out far better knowing that you didn't have to punch the clock for somebody.

All in all, guns are fun, EVERYBODY should try them out before they decide to say they are dangerous killing machines. Only in the hands of criminals and evil people are they that. With as much money as some spend on here for fish, they might end up having quite a nice aresenal :)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
wait ur in cali! its it illegal for you to even think about guns? lol.

sry couldnt resist

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
a 12g shotgun is the loudest gun ive heard in person. it pisses me off as the range ear muffs suck so bad. i have to squeeze them onto my head to protect me ears sometimes. but sure it doesnt matter if you are going to be dead.

person who suggested a bolt over a shotgun. bolts are generally longer than the hd shotguns 22+ in barrel vs the 16-18 in shotgun barrel. for one i think thats gonna be more clumsy. dont forget the bolt itself. bolts are long guns

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
What kind of person has the testicular power to break into a americans home? I cant even belive it stills happen. Im no criminal but I dont think I would choose break and enter as a money making plan. Imnot into staring down the barrels of shotties or ars or aks. The cilvillains seem to have better firepower than the cops

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
beex215;5054657; said:
person who suggested a bolt over a shotgun. bolts are generally longer than the hd shotguns 22+ in barrel vs the 16-18 in shotgun barrel. for one i think thats gonna be more clumsy. dont forget the bolt itself. bolts are long guns
I think the poster was suggesting the bolt as a target shooting option and not over the shotgun.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
if thats the case. id agree. i still never took my bolt gun to the range. im not part of any long distance / outdoor range. i want to blast some .308's at something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store