Arapaima Faded Fin Tip & Rot

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Hello Matt,

notice they got the ExStik in stock as well.
Assume you put more trust in analog devices?
I know a bit in terms of electronics and have always been thought that multi means 'multiple chances of problems', but at the same time, I tend to be lazy and want to have all done in one shot..
I also know that electronic measurement needs careful calibration.

So for me its a choice i have to make between analog and digital. Any recommendation on a specific product from your side?

Cheers,
Luc

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Ok..first 2 pictures.
Couldn't get underwater pictures. Forgot to charge the camera, no cable..grrr.
But have some decent shots I think to show the tail.
This morning it looked better than yesterday I think..

IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

You can see the faded end of the tail. And there's 3 white spots where there's rot. Yesterday there was some crust, today that's mostly gone.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Quick update.. Added 2 soup bowls again of salt first..then emptied out the koi-pond, pumped out the water, added 4 bowls of salt in and it is now refilling with water until it starts overflowing into the pond again, bringing the 2nd filter back on line.
That's another water change of 6 cubic meters, 6000 liters of clean water mixed with salt that will then slowly mix with main pond and lots of filtration of the filter.

Netting the tilapia not very successful, only 3 big ones out, I think because too bright with sun.
Will try again tomorrow morning early see if that gets better results.

Waiting for ordering the refracto meter, likely tomorrow, hope to include ordering the medicines I need as well.

Kind regards,
Luc

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I would think the salt and spot treatment if necessary would fix this. Give the salt and water change a chance and see if that works by it self.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Hello Tom,
I was really hoping for that answer.. See what Matt will add to it. If the same, tomorrow refracto meter, then keep adding salt up to the 5 ppt level. Still need to get more Tilapia out to reduce the load. Initially added just 4, but with Arapaima not chasing them, they quickly got to hundreds of smaller ones until I put the P'Bass in. After that it stopped.
Anyhow, will wait a bit more for Matt.

Thanks a lot,

Luc

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I agree. Don't try to do too much at once. Keep it simple to start with (like you are doing). If you try lots of things at once, it can add stress and make things worse.

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Not much change. Very unusual for January, we are hitting another cold spell.
Water was only 22'C this morning, so Spend the day to buy stuff to keep the pond warm.
First, all air pumped into the pond is now heated up. Part by warm water before going into the (empty of fish) koi pond and part by putting it all under a large bowl with a pump (pump getting very hot) so the air under the bowl heats up as well.
Second, 2 heaters hanging in the koi pond
Third, daytime solar heater. For now 30 meters of tube, on a dark surface on the ground, spray painted black, clear plastic on top. Tomorrow another 30 meters to add more heat and then it's all going onto the Aluminium car park roof which in itself is very hot. With a pump, water going from the pond, through the tubes and back in the pond heated up. Daytime only of course.
Last, I put a couple of beams across the Koi pond and thick clear plastic over it. 95% covered with the heated up air staying underneath.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389956994.736685.jpg
Clear plastic cover. Keeping the heat in I hope

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389957015.111271.jpg
The other side of the cover

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389957032.850490.jpg
The barrel with remaining plastic on top and all the air tube inside and under (warm) water..

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389957053.726276.jpg
The 'quick & dirty' poor man's water-heater. Tomorrow doubling it and on a hot Aluminium roof.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store