are bettas suicidal?

asianmick

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
california
i have a lil half gallon cube that i was keeping a female betta. i was hopping that i could bread her and my male together. and i had her for 3 days then on the 4th i came home and the tank was empty. I looked on the floor and saw her there shriveld up and dead. Is there a reason why she would jump out? I mean I got her from my father who had her for like a year in the same tank. I want to get another but not if their going to commit suicide.

ty for ur help:)

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
COVER THE TANK

Silver Crescent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Louisiana
Fish jump, it's something they do, something any fish will do, I've had all sorts of fish make that 'leap of faith'. They don't know it's dry on the other side. Bettas are used to living in puddles, and perhaps in their native habitat they can get away with jumping from puddle to puddle until they find one large enough to suite them. I don't know exactly, I can't read their minds, but you never know. She may have just been trying to get somewhere else...or maybe she was trying to get away from the Male, who could have been harrassing her for all we know, that or she was trying to get to him. Either way, lesson learned, she's dead, so cover the tank next time, use screen or something so oxygen isn't depleted. Hope you have better luck in the future :)

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
most fish will jump out of their tank if triggered or if given the opportunity

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
It's happened to me at least 4 times with bettas.
One was a male and three were females.

For the females, it always happened when I was trying to breed them and put two bettas next to each other...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store