asianmick

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
california
Bottomfeeder;2656416; said:
lol

i love mosquitofish. in fact, I have 7
no its actually a guppie there are 7 of them the tank was realy cloudy that day ty for all ur responses i thought i did something wrong im still trying to find out were to keep another one and what top put in or do with that lil tank.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
noonein2;2656562; said:
There not really suicidal it just better to put them in a bowl rather then a fish tank.
I disagree, I find that bettas do well in aquariums but the kind of aquarium does matter. They don't do well with large deep tanks with heavy filtration but rather in smaller setups like a five gallon (for a lone male) or 20g long (for several females) with lots of plants (or fake plants) and little current from the filter. Since they're a tropical species a heater is also something I recommend. Many people think of bettas as sedentary fishes content to just hover in place but in a setup like I've described they really shine.

x06jsp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
West sussex/UK
Yes they are tropical and do need a heater. and i would say that a half gallon is nowhere near big enough for a betta i know shops say its ok but its not i would say no less than a 5 gallon.

Josh

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Bottomfeeder;2656416; said:
lol

i love mosquitofish. in fact, I have 7
Well if you have 7 soon you'll have hundreds! :headbang2

I can net mostquitofish at a lake on the other side of my city without using more than a few calories of energy :D
:screwy:

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
micstarz;2660091; said:
Well if you have 7 soon you'll have hundreds! :headbang2

I can net mostquitofish at a lake on the other side of my city without using more than a few calories of energy :D
:screwy:
i have 2 adult females one of which keeps squirting out fry plus 5 fry
her 1st litter i was sick and asleep so i only saved 5 but her last i saved all 23:WHOA:
i gave 22 to the manager of the lfs and when i got home i found one that survived about 45 mins with 2 adult mosquitofish and a filter so i kept that one
:grinno::D:grinno:

sutherland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2009
Las Vegas
sandtiger;2657817; said:
I disagree, I find that bettas do well in aquariums but the kind of aquarium does matter. They don't do well with large deep tanks with heavy filtration but rather in smaller setups like a five gallon (for a lone male) or 20g long (for several females) with lots of plants (or fake plants) and little current from the filter. Since they're a tropical species a heater is also something I recommend. Many people think of bettas as sedentary fishes content to just hover in place but in a setup like I've described they really shine.
+1

Betta are tropical fish and need/will thrive with a heater. Also, any fish would benefit from filtration. I have two male bettas, both are in their own 5 gallon tank and they use EVERY single inch of that space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store