Are Gar's Compatible with "False" Gars?

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
I put some ode pike in with my gar when i had him and gars tend to really hate pther things that inhabit the top of the tank, if they arent equal size and still bullying can occur.
Id say dont do it but if you already have id say the "false gar" will have as long as it takes the real gar to get large enough to try kill it. NOT LONG in other words.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Second day passed without trouble.

The Florida Gar hasn't eaten yet -- is this normal for a new gar? The raucous caused by the other fish feeding seems to make him head in the opposite direction.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Madding;3694207; said:
Second day passed without trouble.

The Florida Gar hasn't eaten yet -- is this normal for a new gar? The raucous caused by the other fish feeding seems to make him head in the opposite direction.
I seem to be the oddball. I have yet to get my LN gar or either Alligator gars to eat ANYTHING that is not alive! I have taken to hand feeding the LN gar because the Snook and Oscar are such fast reacting hogs, that I would go broke otherwise.

If you go "live" it has been my experience to treat ALL live feeders for three days in airated bins before putting them into the aquarium as food!

I asume all feeders carry parasites and always start treatment immediately!:nilly:

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
The gar arrived on Thursday and it still hasn't eaten yet -- it's now Sunday. My AT datnoid and Johanna pike are too fast when it comes to guppies. I broke my cardinal rule and bought a few feeder goldfish and the gar tried to eat one but couldn't fit it in his mouth. He spit it out dead and hasn't looked at anything since.

Should I be worried? I've had predators take longer to eat than this, but I'm not sure if it's normal behavior for gar.

The characin has a little scuff on him and seems more hyper than normal. I'm worried the gar may have gone after him last night. They aren't swimming together as much, either. If I can't get the gar eating I'm going to have to move the characin ahead of schedule.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
screaminleeman;3696513; said:
Excellent! Wish I could take decent photos like that! Do you feed "live"?
As of yesterday my Florida Gar is eating frozen krill held in front of him by a plastic spear. It took me a while to get him to take it, but patience is a virtue.

Before that, he had only eaten a couple of goldfish, which I detested using. He doesn't notice anything smaller, though, like guppies or rosy's. My other fish are too fast and he too lazy.

I'm hoping to keep him on a varied diet of frozen food now that he's eating krill. I'm going to get some silversides this weekend, and I have no doubt he'll take them.

So to sum up your question... no, I don't feed live. Took me about a week to get him onto frozen krill. :)

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
And for anyone else interested, there have not been any signs of aggression between the gar and the "gar" characin since last time I posted. I'm not going to update this thread every day because I suspect it may be a while before the Florida gar turns on his tankmate.

Crossing my fingers that he doesn't do it at all, but we'll see. The frozen diet should help, hopefully.

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
nice fish, I just got mine today i cant wait to learn more abut these beautiful guys

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Just my 2 cents but I had a tank that had 3 needlenose falsegar and they live peacefully with a larger Flordia for about 4-5 years with no problems.

Your tank looks really nice man, keep up the good work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store