Are Gar's Compatible with "False" Gars?

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
AU_Arowana-RG;3722540; said:
Depends really. If I had to say, a Hepsetus Odoe would be better for trying to get the combo to work. But hey, if it works out for you here, congratulations.
I tried an Odoe a few months back and my Johanna pike cichlid killed it. I can't put anything in there that doesn't have significant coloration or it gets eaten, sadly.

Anyways, I'm glad to see a few positive stories! I don't have complete faith in the combination yet, as every once in a while I wake up to my characin having his back tail fin the tiniest bit frayed. It always heals in a couple of days and he's perfectly healthy otherwise and eating guppies like a champ.

I don't even know if it's the Florida doing it -- I tried a 5" silver Needlenose a couple of years ago and my Fat Sleeper Goby ate it despite being only an inch or so longer. The big "goby" is still in there but he's a lot more mellow nowadays. It could still be him, though.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Characin's fins healed about a week ago and he's been fine since.

The new problem seems to be that the Florida Gar does not like when the Characin grabs a piece of his frozen krill, and has begun following him around until he swallows it. I imagine that the gar, one of these days, is going to try and take the food.

andrewt224

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
pa
how has the combo been workin for ya so far. i have a similar combo . wat size tank are they in

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Hey there. I have two Florida gars tat are about 14" and I just recently put a 8" hujeta gar in the tank with them and its so funny because the hujeta follows the big ones around and never leaves their side like he thinks they are his parents. It cracks me up. I hope the combo works for you! good luck.

Oh and one thing to note about my tank is te Floridas only eat non-live food so that is probably a big factor!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
bahamaqt00;3938431; said:
Hey there. I have two Florida gars tat are about 14" and I just recently put a 8" hujeta gar in the tank with them and its so funny because the hujeta follows the big ones around and never leaves their side like he thinks they are his parents. It cracks me up. I hope the combo works for you! good luck.

Oh and one thing to note about my tank is te Floridas only eat non-live food so that is probably a big factor!
says who? i'm actually interested and am not being sacarastic here btw:)

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i mean, how do you know it's a big factor in your gar not eating your hujeta(yet anyways..)?

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
I was just thinking it would be a big factor because they were raised on pellets, never eating live food. So they never associate smaller fish as food? I don't know, maybe fish don't think like that, but I know if you put a small fish in with something bigger who eats feeder goldfish, they would be all over it. Just how I thought of it....

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
bahamaqt00;3940619; said:
I was just thinking it would be a big factor because they were raised on pellets, never eating live food. So they never associate smaller fish as food? I don't know, maybe fish don't think like that, but I know if you put a small fish in with something bigger who eats feeder goldfish, they would be all over it. Just how I thought of it....
i wouldn't be too sure of that..and applying anthropomorphism(is this the right term here?) to fishes really should not be done one way or the other. granted it probably does have some measure of effect on the gars, but i wouldn't go as far as to suggest it's a large or a big factor. that's just me thou, perhaps you are right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store