Are rays better off in high ph/tds waters

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Agreed, there must also be a BIG difference with captive bred as they are more likely to be used to our water...the more bloodlines the better, I expect.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It's also a timeline sort of thing. I guarantee a newly exported group of flower/tiger would be better way better off brought into a tank with a steady ro drip vs shocking them.after they take to foods and start to harden up in captivity than I think it would be ok to start slowly acclimating them and getting them accustomed to your water. But for sure in the beginning replicating what they just came from will benifit you alot more vs just dumping them into water they are not accustomed too. I beleive this is one of the leading causes.if we could do things slower I think we'd see alot more success bringing in fragile rays
Flowers and tigers are nearly always wild caught

A captive bred ray is much strong than any wild caught ray

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
In my experience IF I didn't see Marble patterns go to hell on a regular basis I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with keeping them in super hard water. Doesn't really seem to change patterns on other rays. Just the Marbles.

I see what the rays look like when freshly imported. Watch them be kept in RO for a while, some much longer then others, then I put them in my water. I watch the changes and it's pretty obvious that the patterns seem to look much better while being kept in the RO water.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
In my experience IF I didn't see Marble patterns go to hell on a regular basis I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with keeping them in super hard water. Doesn't really seem to change patterns on other rays. Just the Marbles.

I see what the rays look like when freshly imported. Watch them be kept in RO for a while, some much longer then others, then I put them in my water. I watch the changes and it's pretty obvious that the patterns seem to look much better while being kept in the RO water.
That is interesting to hear.

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
How can anyone rationally imagine that any animal is going to do better in conditions that are less than the optimal compared to those that it has evolved in over millions of years and is idealized for?
This seems to me like a classic example of motivated reasoning and cognitive bias.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary

Db have you ever kept pearls.they fade even worse than marbles. After I started to use ro I sheet you not all my rays colors were way more vibrant. I also added big chunks of drift wood and sacks of peat to dim the water and that made rays color even better again.
Db you should hook up an ro and start by 50/50 mixes and add Peat and wood with your mm. It's not exensive for ro stuff off eBay In USA.a membrane cost over $100 up here I can buy them same ones from you guys in USA for $28 off eBay and it last almost a year .i use the 100 gpd and run the waste water into another ro membrane that's about 50gpd and it actually works great so I reduce the amount of wasted water. I bet for $150-200 you could be rolling with ro setup. That stuff is so cheap down their.

I'm so interested in hearing results on mm or pearls . I still think they will fade regardless but it's interesting thought. Never know till somebody tries it

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Not intresting to watch. It's obvious there is something to this, but yet everytime I ask any sort of water parameter questions here I get the same answer.....

Don't mess with it. Rays breed in any water.

Well, rays might breed in any water, but my rays don't seem to like to breed in my water and I seem to have years of the same luck.

I did have one Pearl here for a little while. He didn't seem to do much fading, BUT he had been captive for probobly 1+ year when I got it. Damage to pattern was probobly already done.

I will definetly be playing with RO in the future, BUT for now I need to wait for the new Marble breeding group to settle in, and see if they resume regular breeding. I'll never know cuase of my issues IF I mess with too many things at once. Right now I need to nail down if it's my rays or my water. What better way then to take an established breeding group of 4 rays (1M 3F) and put them in my water. IF they quit breeding then it's the water, IF they resume breeding it was my rays..... My males are REALLY small compared to the females.

I may just end up toying with rain water, just wish I didn't have to deal with all this crap in a rental house. :(

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
If you already have the 3 stage drippers all you need is the ro chamber a pressure gauge and inline Tds meter and membrane .just put it after the 3 chambers.you need about 60 psi for the membrane to run optimal and if you use warmer water the filters work better and the membrane also lasts longer.i do about 15 -20 degrees celcius but you can't go to hot or youl damage the ro

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store