Are we really treating our fish right?

Aquariums and zoos and aquarists do more to keep animals safe in the wild than could ever be done without them. Its why Steve Irwin did what he did.

If little Billy never saw an orca at an aquarium, little Billy might not give a flying sardine about orcas in the wild because he'd be too busy texting his pal about the latest music video instead.

Now keeping animals that can easily kill in close contact with humans, that's a whole other ball game. But hey, if that's your bag then what can anyone say?

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
I'll say it again we are being brain washed by the groups who don't want animals owned. The human mind is very easy to persuade stop watching these programs and enjoy the hobby. If we don't we will lose this hobby and the bunny hugger's will win.
^
This

This is what has been killing parts of our hobby, and Wild Bill makes it short sweet and simple. If you believe that you're doing all the right things: If your fish swim to you begging with food with there bellies full after catching air for the bloodworms or flakes. If the plants, corals, and life keeps coming up and growing, then you have nothing to worry about. It's just many activists hate that people enjoy having a part of the wild that may not get to see in real life, because you're "holding them captive, these helpless little beauties that look so cramped". Just remember that you do your homework for basically everything alive and not alive in that glass box to keep them looking their best while they rant about us being cruel. This might've been way outta left field, but I regret nothing.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Well, to play devil's advocate here, you're deluding yourself if you can't acknowledge that this hobby is one of the most destructive around, from the plundering of native fish and corals and the destruction they do while they gather them, introducing invasive species and the massive mortality rate over all. Not to mention the lateral costs, the super high cost in water and power to keep fish compared to other animals.

Compared to any other pet keeping, the mortality percentage for each fish that reaches a year old in captivity would be obscene if we had the figures on hand. Just from my own observations I wouldn't doubt that its around 100-1.. but that is probably closer to just the rate to get one for sale in a store. Its probably closer to 1000-1 for ones that manage to reach a year old for the actual fish keeper.

I'm not a tree hugger but I"m not blind either.

How many threads are there about the stupid people seen in pet store supermarkets? What you suppose that means? It means for every educated fish keeper that manages to do a half ass job of maintaining their fish, there are several dozen others that think its normal for fish to need to be replaced on a monthly basis because that's how fast they kill them.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Well, to play devil's advocate here, you're deluding yourself if you can't acknowledge that this hobby is one of the most destructive around, from the plundering of native fish and corals and the destruction they do while they gather them, introducing invasive species and the massive mortality rate over all. Not to mention the lateral costs, the super high cost in water and power to keep fish compared to other animals.

Compared to any other pet keeping, the mortality percentage for each fish that reaches a year old in captivity would be obscene if we had the figures on hand. Just from my own observations I wouldn't doubt that its around 100-1.. but that is probably closer to just the rate to get one for sale in a store. Its probably closer to 1000-1 for ones that manage to reach a year old for the actual fish keeper.

What do you think the mortality rate is for wild fish though? Think about how many fish go into the food industry alone on top of that.

You think fish keeping is more expensive then keeping the most popular pets? Fish keeping is far cheaper then dogs and cats.

A majority of the fish kept in the tropical fish industry are captive breed or farm raised

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
True, but they're at least used as food and they're killed quickly via being froze. For the average fish keepers pet, its basically a slow month long death.

And no, I don't agree that fish are cheaper than dogs and cats. A bag of cat food lasts me almost 2 weeks for two cats.. there is hardly any other overhead except litter, which is cheap too.

With fish you have the water, food, electricity, chemicals, special and expensive housings.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin

How many threads are there about the stupid people seen in pet store supermarkets? What you suppose that means? It means for every educated fish keeper that manages to do a half ass job of maintaining their fish, there are several dozen others that think its normal for fish to need to be replaced on a monthly basis because that's how fast they kill them.
Well when you put it that way fish keeping sounds more metal than Slayer.

Rock on :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
True, but they're at least used as food and they're killed quickly via being froze. For the average fish keepers pet, its basically a slow month long death.

And no, I don't agree that fish are cheaper than dogs and cats. A bag of cat food lasts me almost 2 weeks for two cats.. there is hardly any other overhead except litter, which is cheap too.

With fish you have the water, food, electricity, chemicals, special and expensive housings.
Idk, the start up from taking a kitten from birth to adulthood will cost you a bit more then litter and food after you toss in shots and getting it fixed. The vet bills feel like having a child. Something my fish never felt like once they were all squared away. Same with dogs

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Spiff do you have something against this hobby if so why are you in it. Next do you have with a hobby that creates jobs which in turn boost the economy. It sounds to me like you are looking for a reason to quit the hobby not promote it and help educate others.
I would bet in the wild many first time parents or mostly mother will lose their young but they learn and up their success rate. Then there are the other living things that for lack of a better term were created just to feed others and seldom live to 6 months of age. So yes some people will be bad fish keepers but there are also those that look to people like MFK and want to succeed. Just remeber this life is not a bed of roses no matter how we try to make it one. So just enjoy this hobby and on't believe everything you watch on TV or read on the internet.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Yeah I've spent a ton on my dogs and cats. Spent thousands in vet bills, they eat the best food money can buy, and I buy them toys. Definitely would say that keeping a fish is cheaper. I suppose water and electricity costs would have to be factored in.....especially when you start talking about huge tanks. But still.....fish food is cheaper, nursing them back to health is cheaper, and getting them initially is (usually) cheaper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store