Arowana pricing?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I was under the impression silver aros did well communally as long as the environment was large enough- least that is what I have been told over and over. Its a 130 soon to be 300.
Yeah your aros won't be show fish if you house them together and their fins and scales might even look beat up at times but silvers usually don't kill eachother just nip and bite it's my interpretation black or "blue" arowana are the most peaceful when housed together even over silver arowana so you might wanna try one of those if you can find one as they can be mixed with a silver and don't seem to get quite as large, jardini on the other hand are a definite red flag when it comes to housing with tankmates if you try to keep two of these together your gonna end up with a fish dead or seriously injured!!! I've seen them kept with silvers and other fish if the other fish are much larger but even then the jar might snap and murder some of its tank mates. Also 300 is pretty big and I'd say you could keep these guys together in a tank that size but in a 125 1 aro is max and if they're 3-4ft monsters Id say even a 300 gallon tank isn't large enough for 2 sharing the same swimming space, you'd really need a pond for that, I'd try a clown knife or maybe a cool cat for your tank or some larger cichlids would be nice!
Oh and for his or her refusing to eat I gotta ask have you tried any live or frozen foods? Sometimes fish can be picky or just fast themselves at times I know my small jar has his days where he doesn't want his pellets so I have to drop in cut up dinner table shrimp or some bloodworms he always takes those, I think it's the smell maybe it's worth a try!!! Shrimp is a definite favorite of my arowana. Just let me know!! If he still won't bite you might have to feed live foods which is a pain.

LizardQueen

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 19, 2016
Tucson
Yeah your aros won't be show fish if you house them together and their fins and scales might even look beat up at times but silvers usually don't kill eachother just nip and bite it's my interpretation black or "blue" arowana are the most peaceful when housed together even over silver arowana so you might wanna try one of those if you can find one as they can be mixed with a silver and don't seem to get quite as large, jardini on the other hand are a definite red flag when it comes to housing with tankmates if you try to keep two of these together your gonna end up with a fish dead or seriously injured!!! I've seen them kept with silvers and other fish if the other fish are much larger but even then the jar might snap and murder some of its tank mates. Also 300 is pretty big and I'd say you could keep these guys together in a tank that size but in a 125 1 aro is max and if they're 3-4ft monsters Id say even a 300 gallon tank isn't large enough for 2 sharing the same swimming space, you'd really need a pond for that, I'd try a clown knife or maybe a cool cat for your tank or some larger cichlids would be nice!
Oh and for his or her refusing to eat I gotta ask have you tried any live or frozen foods? Sometimes fish can be picky or just fast themselves at times I know my small jar has his days where he doesn't want his pellets so I have to drop in cut up dinner table shrimp or some bloodworms he always takes those, I think it's the smell maybe it's worth a try!!! Shrimp is a definite favorite of my arowana. Just let me know!! If he still won't bite you might have to feed live foods which is a pain.

Gonna sound really stupid here but can they eat roaches? I breed for reptile the dubia variety and wondered if that was cool for them to eat. And also is it cool if they eat frozen thawed pinkie mice? He does eat aro pellet food that I got but he doesnt seem to prefer it. I am thinking whole prey food might be more his style.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Gonna sound really stupid here but can they eat roaches? I breed for reptile the dubia variety and wondered if that was cool for them to eat. And also is it cool if they eat frozen thawed pinkie mice? He does eat aro pellet food that I got but he doesnt seem to prefer it. I am thinking whole prey food might be more his style.
If he's willing to eat them id say go for it!!

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
If not, this might slightly bug you being an animal person but, you could try frogs? I saw a video of someone feeding their monster tank frogs it was pretty gruesome but the aro took down quiet a few.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
2 aros will likely not work regardless of species cause that means you have to get lucky 2x. Which is what I was referring to when I said they'd fight over the top, if you have 3+ it can work but still depends on the specimens, 5 seems to be a magic number with aros. Silvers and blacks comm the best when compared to other aro species.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Yeah. He will eat and love roaches. He will also demo and eat pinkies. Though kanak meat is not the best for them. I would stick to pellets and maybe give them a treat of riachs, market shrimp, fish filet, etc. Actually if it were up to me. I wouldn't give him nothing but pellets. For some aro's I've owned... Once they get a taste of insects, fish, shrimp, etc... They don't want to touch pellets anymore...

richard yung

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2015
My LFS is selling a 2 foot silver who is pretty beat up for $90 while across town they have a slightly smaller jardini about a foot or a foot and a half for $180 I'm just wondering if these sound overpriced to you guys. Also should I snag the large silver aro if they will deal with me some? He's beat up and missing a few scales I just don't know how these guys heal and if he'd ever look like I'd want him to?
Are you talking about Monster in Flushing? (Jardini for 180) If so, then I just wanna say that jardini is a BEAST! nice colors on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store