Arowanna killer

exwp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Arowana's shrink back in fear when I enter the pet store. I've Killed six already. I have stopped for now, but will kill again soon.
I have all kinds of fish. Red tail cats, Oscars, other ciclids (yes, angels).I have polypterus, loaches, barbs, tetras, Red tail sharks, bala's, rainbows, smallmouth bass, poximids. I have a few.
My fish are healthy. Their tanks are clean. Their amonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are < measurable.
So why do I kill arowanas?????
I tried different temps. 78, 80, 85.
This is what happens. They are fine for a week or two. Then for no apparent reason. they quit eating.
DEAD IN ONE TO THREE DAYS
I did manage to revive one by force feeding it, but a week later the death cycle started again.
STOP ME BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
maybe to find reason for your mass murder of this species. You should first learn how to properly raise one.

What size and species of each arowana lost.
What size and type tank of each attempt when aro was lost?
What was the filtration on these tanks?
What was diet of each arowana?
What was water change schedule, pH and was a de-chlorinator used?
Any of the arowana with tankmates?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
exwp;5164677; said:
Arowanas shrink back in fear when I enter the pet store. I've Killed six already. I have stopped for now, but will kill again soon.
I have all kinds of fish. Red tail cats, Oscars, other ciclids (yes, angels).I have polypterus, loaches, barbs, tetras, Red tail sharks, bala's, rainbows, smallmouth bass, poximids. I have a few.
My fish are healthy. Their tanks are clean. Their amonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are < measurable.
So why do I kill arowanas?????
I tried different temps. 78, 80, 85.
This is what happens. They are fine for a week or two. Then for no apparent reason. they quit eating.
DEAD IN ONE TO THREE DAYS
I did manage to revive one by force feeding it, but a week later the death cycle started again.
STOP ME BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
In one tank?

exwp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Arowana size has been 3-6 inches. Had a baby senegalis too. he hunted the first two. put him in another tank. This tank is 150 g. lots of plants. marineland c530 canister filter. Water changes once a week. water sits in the room for a week in between changes. PH maintains neutral. There are 1-1 1/2 inch angels in the tank. They don't bother the aros. There is no sign of any abuse when they die. They just quit eating and starve. There is a small dubeoise cat 1-2 inch. He's very shy and probably never see's the aros. Even the largest one (6-7 inches) did the sme thing. Stopped eating and starved. Two small plecos in the tank too. The total fish mass in this tank is minute to say the least. Maybe I'll keep one in a ten gallon till it grows too big.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
exwp;5164743; said:
Arowana size has been 3-6 inches. Had a baby senegalis too. he hunted the first two. put him in another tank. This tank is 150 g. lots of plants. marineland c530 canister filter. Water changes once a week. water sits in the room for a week in between changes. PH maintains neutral. There are 1-1 1/2 inch angels in the tank. They don't bother the aros. There is no sign of any abuse when they die. They just quit eating and starve. There is a small dubeoise cat 1-2 inch. He's very shy and probably never see's the aros. Even the largest one (6-7 inches) did the sme thing. Stopped eating and starved. Two small plecos in the tank too. The total fish mass in this tank is minute to say the least. Maybe I'll keep one in a ten gallon till it grows too big.
Keeping an aro of any size in a 10 gallon tank sounds like a bad idea to me.

exwp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Some people have suggested I wasted alot of money on these fish. They should see the bill for the tank.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
exwp;5164746; said:
I have alot of tanks. I bought the 150 just for the aros. It's just not working out.
Hmm, I'm not sure then. Answering each of Bderick's questions would definitely be helpful.

Edit: nvm, I see you already have (except the one about their diet)....... Looks like your problem is most likely that the tank was not cycled properly (or at all). A cycled tank should have 0ppm NH3, 0ppm NO2, and usually 10-30ppm NO3, unless there are plants in the tank (as opposed to all parameters being "< measurable").

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
exwp;5164743; said:
You did not state the species, but I'll assume they were silver arowana. Nothing really jumps out as to wrong doings, however all the aro were small. Smaller aro are a bit more delicate. I am leaning towards the aro being stressed which leads to them stopping eating. It could even just all
be a coincidence.

What are you feeding the arowana? With your water changes, how much do you change? Do you use a de-chlorinator? Do you heat and the water that is sitting?

I would recommend going with a larger 8"+ aro. Keep it in a tank by itself until 12". You can add floating plants and keep the water surface calm to help with them feeling more secure and comfortable. This would need to be at least a 75g tank, and I would lower the water level 6-7". A 10g is out of the question.

You are going to need a much larger tank then a 150g. Depending on dimensions, an 8" silver could outgrow your 150g tank in as little as 6 months.

exwp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Michigan
I've fed brine shrimp. Freeze dried krill most recently. Like I said "lotsa plants". I don't heat the water. The water I put in is 70 degrees, I keep the tank 80-82. The temp drop after water change is not noticable. possibly 1/2 a degree. I only change 10 gallons a week. The fish are small. The tank is big. I do check ph and amonia in the fresh water before I add it. The larger one did eat a few flies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store