Asian Arowana petition!

Hom3yboy22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2013
South Florida
I see you are very passionate about this and I do hope you succeed but many laws are set in stone and in these current times I don't see the government will show any interest. With the war still going on, health care in rumble, and government shutting down whenever it wants to its not very realistic. Many people who want an asian aro will get one with means of smuggling or as in getting it from "other" sources so those die hearts will get their prized possession with money rather than fighting for a cause and obtaining it legally.
Thank you. And believe me, I understand where your coming from. Thats a very realistic way of looking at it. But deep down i really do believe that if we keep fighting for this cause, we are very close to obtaining what we are trying to achieve. And believe me, in all honesty i think we have all thought about trying to bring one from Canada or find a guy who does. But the legal risks of that are very dangerous. And at the heart of it, the fish suffers a lot from black market trade and smuggling. I am against that. What im fighting for is to support the start of an international trade with the U.S. And other countries in a safe and professional way that provides microchipped and documented species. And that is what i hope all this will achieve. Again, thank you for your support in this cause and never give up on this fight.

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
I signed it!!! Sign the petition to get Asian aros in the states!!! C'mon everyone!!!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
This thread has been done at least two other times in the past year or so. I have not seen the petition get more than a couple hundred signers. But good luck. I think you put this thread in the wrong place for maximum exposure. You should ask a mod to move it to general. That way people who don't normally look at the Aro thread will see it.

Hom3yboy22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2013
South Florida
This thread has been done at least two other times in the past year or so. I have not seen the petition get more than a couple hundred signers. But good luck. I think you put this thread in the wrong place for maximum exposure. You should ask a mod to move it to general. That way people who don't normally look at the Aro thread will see it.
thanks for your support, and i thought i would start at the base with Arowana lovers. But your right, its time to upscale, can a MOD please move this to a main discussion page or somewhere where it will get more views?

But anyways, we are starting to get this thing going, I have started hitting as many groups as possible there are too many of them ...thats good news. Now whoever is with this need to do the same start with all states fish related groups start with predatory move to tankmates of arowana then any fish group....then fish related compagnie( fluval ,seachem ) exotic pet groups. reptile group , promote yourself type groups fish related tv fan pages .......when i think of something else i let you know, just did think of something, tank builders cites , State aquarium pages........DO IT im doing it. also anyone who "likes the link you posted ask them to do the same that way WE/YOU cover more ground.....Also US fish world personalites.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would think it to be much simpler to go and bump up one of the multiple previous petitions that have been created and already have votes. This happens about every 6-12 months and nothing ever comes of it because it loses steam.

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
My understanding for the reason why it is so hard to get Asian arowana private import and ownership made legal in the USA is that the US Endangered Species Act does not distinguish between any of the class 1 CITES animals on the list (rhinos, tigers, etc.). There is a blanket ban on the private importation of all Class 1 CITES animals (unless it is for educational/institutional use). There are some additional issues as well (i.e. verification of captive breeding and allocation of $$ collected via business for habitat protection), but it is the blanket nature of the Endangered Species Act that is the main problem. In order for Asian arowana to be removed from that legislation, a new draft bill dealing specifically with Asian arowana would have to be released on the floor of the congress. This means one would need to find and lobby a specific US congressman (either Democrat or Republican) to use their time to draft a bill and submit it to the congress for approval. Such a bill would need a majority of congress to support it before it could then move to the US Senate. Only after passing both houses of government could it then be ratified into law.

I think a member of congress is only going to take on the "legalize Asian arowana" cause if he/she can see that: a) they or their party will get some votes; b) it is in the national interest of the USA. This is such a narrow special interest I can't see any member of congress wanting to get involved.
Mind you, arowana rhymes with marijuanna, and so maybe a bill "legalizing arowana ownership" could pass with the help of a member of congress from Washington state or Colorado. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store