Ate my fish today...

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
btw, I ate a pet brook trout when I was a kid. We caught them in a stream by the house and put them in our fish tank. They ate everything in the tank and then started to eat each other. Finally there were only two or three left. They were really small and the largest was maybe 8" at the most. The others were like 4 or 5". When it came time to move, we had to get rid of them one way or another. :popcorn:

I cleaned and cooked them. The taste wasn't bad but the pet thing was an issue.

MikeOway

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Reading this reminds me of homer eating his pet lobster. I think for me its the funniest simpsons ever.

Are you going to eat the lobster all by yourself?

He would have wanted it this way.

LOL

Man when my fhs and srs died, I net them out and these things go to be atleast 2lb if not 3lb some were 10" and the biggest was 14". They were well fed. I wanted to eat it because they cost so much and now that they died it was worthless. If I ate it then I could of said yea I ate a $300 fish before, it tasted okay.

Needless to say the pet factor stopped me. The thought of feeding them all the color enhancing / hump pumping hormone food that may still be inside the fish did not look appealing. I have a big enough head already and I'm already a fat dude. Dont need bigger humps if you know what I mean.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
MikeOway;4339194; said:
Reading this reminds me of homer eating his pet lobster. I think for me its the funniest simpsons ever.

Are you going to eat the lobster all by yourself?

He would have wanted it this way.

LOL

Man when my fhs and srs died, I net them out and these things go to be atleast 2lb if not 3lb some were 10" and the biggest was 14". They were well fed. I wanted to eat it because they cost so much and now that they died it was worthless. If I ate it then I could of said yea I ate a $300 fish before, it tasted okay.

Needless to say the pet factor stopped me. The thought of feeding them all the color enhancing / hump pumping hormone food that may still be inside the fish did not look appealing. I have a big enough head already and I'm already a fat dude. Dont need bigger humps if you know what I mean.
WHat you dont need a bigger KOK?:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

vaipulu

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Missouri
lets not start a group of people who want to eat rare fish... :p I would be banned from mfk... let alone people would not reply to my " Free to good home" requests... I don't want people to know that I am eating.... think im eating their pet fish.. if your fish get to big for you tank... give us a call... we will take care of it for you. Your festae does look delcious

Wet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
I have raised my own food whenever I had the time and space. That included chickens, ducks, pheasant, geese, hogs, dairy goats, cows, and meat rabbits. The thing one must do is to decide the day you get the animal whether it is pet or food.

Just because an animal is destined for the dinner table does not mean that they do not deserve a good life. If they are well cared for and feed proper feeds they will be far better than the factory raised meat we get in the stores full of growth hormones and antibiotics.

I am starting to breed feeders now with the intent of overwintering some yellow perch for breading come spring. The fingerlings will be put in large outside tanks for grow-out. Common sense prevails as to what you feed fish that you plan on eating. Here locally there are many ponds that are contaminated, and many lakes and rivers here that list restrictions as 1-2 fish consumed per month. I will have far safer fish to eat than I could catch locally and I love yellow perch.

Now I will admit that if I get a breading pair or 2 in indoor tanks they will become pets. I would still eat them if I needed to though. I think people would have far more respect for the animals lives we take if they had to at least once in their life look the cow in the eye they are getting their steak from as they kill it before they get to grill the steak on the barbeque. Too many convince themselves meat grows on trees in cellophane packages. Butchers are nothing more than contract killers doing the public's dirty work for a price.

Wet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
It was not my dinner but I ran across this online a few days ago on MySpace. It was a dinner served in New York City. They look like Fathead feeders to me! I wonder what they were charged.

New York City Fatheads.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store