---Attention p14 owners--- heavy breathing??

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
If the salt doesn't land on their discs, then they have their own contol of how much they get into...I just dump it in a spot where they arent't hanging out, and they can investigate is as they please...but they love it.

solar salt...water softener style...

Mike

digginrays

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
lake norman
me to. drop in in a corner and the p14 come frolic in it. i use solar salt and run it through a blender than add to the tank. my experience..

galaxies_14

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
QB
hey keep i think part of ur problem could possibly have been having them in with such larger rays, and moving them from tank to tank. they are still pretty young. maybe best to keep them in the QT without bigger ones like ur flower i saw until there a couple months old. my p14 never breath hard but do lift there front lip time to time after eating. and to add are the most outgoing eaters compared to any other species i have

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Old rule of thumb was 1lb/100 gallon all the way up to "oh sh$t" status which was 4lb/100 gallon. Some recommended dosing the first 1lb/100 gallons a half day a part to avoid shock. The blue bagged solar salt seemed to be the favored stuff.

I toss mine in a 5 gallon bucket fill up about 1/4 the way with hot water, drop in a powerhead then just drip it after dissolved.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I don't have p14's but would agree with Galaxie - they may have been getting stressed out with the bigger rays even if they weren't visible getting picked on. I'd be stressed out confined to a small area with a guy big enough to chew me up and spit me out! I'm on well water too and I find sometime my rays (blacks and motoros) will show signs of stress (breath heavey sitting in one spot and hardly eating) after doing several water changes in a short period of time. I backed off the water changes and they returned to normal. May be something fluctuating in your well water. Do you treat your well water at all or just pump straight in? I pump into a large garbage can and run a Fluval 205 filled with charcoal and a heater in it for 24 hours before filling a tank. We have a water softener so I can't fill using the hot water tank. Figure the charcoal will eliminate any contaminants in the water.

GLW Them - I'm sure they are in good hands.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
All my other tanks are dripping straight out of tap to tanks. No issues with any rays including the flower

I think stress may be it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store