---Attention p14 owners--- heavy breathing??

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
i know alot of u are against it but try sand it will lower the stress level alot imo at least were ur keeping the p14? just a thought

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
like diggin said i wish i could be more help bro the pups i have do it not that bad though i do use sand in all my ray tanks and the p14 do bury alot

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
I have 2 p14 pups and 1 11 inch. And the symptoms u are describing i am 90%sure it is internal parasites. P14 are very dramatic u will no first from them if something is wrong. And those exact symptoms have happened to me twice before i added a uv. But i recommend u treat them with prazi pro.are u familiar with the product and the treatment schedule?Salt and heat will not help the heat may speed up the reproduction of the parasite

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
ok, i have been reading and reading on this.... I notice the male and female do a small cough while breathing..
I think it is the exact same thing that t1 had a year ago. The male is not eating anymore, but the female is eating fine.. But is only using one side to breathe. which leads to parasites.... ??? possibly?
I almost wonder if i have had something in my tank for years, or these p14 had a parasite and once i stressed them out, it attacked them...
Salt did not help... i am going to treat with prazi tonight.

here is T1's thread.... http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?335686-anyone-had-this-problem/page6

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Trev went through the same thing if I remember correctly.... The one spiracle breathing was his most noticable symptom if I remember correctly, I think he used Prazi as well to resolve.

I think the biggest thing with this sort of treatment is the proper timeline for treatment. I believe you need several weeks of treatment to erradicate everything. A single treatment may tip the scales enough that the rays appear better but it will resurface the next time they are stressed. I believe full course is 3-4 weeks.

I believe all rays have parasites. The only time they become an issue is when stressed and the immune system is weakened. Removing the stress may be enough but if the balance is tipped then meds need to be used to give the ray a chance to rebuild the immune system. Once rebuilt they can deal with those parasites.... Untill balance is tipped again.

Symptoms sound reminiscent of the issues with the Flower......

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i know DB. My flower had some issues a while back... His was a little different symptoms but the p14 were in with him for a couple of weeks. I wonder if that is where it came from?

I had the SAME thing with my hystrix back in 08' when the new imports came in, and he survived it. He would breath on one side and almost looked slumped over on the size he was not breathing out of. SAME thing with this female p14. but she is eating fine... but i do see her cough... the male on the other hand, was in the tank with the flower for longer and i think he stressed even more, as he is NOT eating now...

I am starting treatment tonight with prazi.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Just read the thread for ya, a couple of quick thoughts from me:

Pups can get stressed from bigger rays, and that could be part of the problem.
About the 'internal parasites' - where the rays wild caught or in with wild caught? Trying to figure out the source of the parasites. I wouldn't treat until I knew what I was going after. If they are wild caught and you figure out Prazi is your best bet, make sure to keep the oxygen levels high for them. I'd skip salt. To me it's a 'make the owner feel good' treatment, as it's never been proven to do anything. Salt changes the ability of parasites to osmoregulate themselves - often time having them fall off... but it does the same to the rays. You're impacting the ability of the rays to keep their bodies in equalibrium with the water they are in. Not an issue for a healthy ray, but it can add stress to a sick ray.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Just read the thread for ya, a couple of quick thoughts from me:

Pups can get stressed from bigger rays, and that could be part of the problem.
About the 'internal parasites' - where the rays wild caught or in with wild caught? Trying to figure out the source of the parasites. I wouldn't treat until I knew what I was going after. If they are wild caught and you figure out Prazi is your best bet, make sure to keep the oxygen levels high for them. I'd skip salt. To me it's a 'make the owner feel good' treatment, as it's never been proven to do anything. Salt changes the ability of parasites to osmoregulate themselves - often time having them fall off... but it does the same to the rays. You're impacting the ability of the rays to keep their bodies in equalibrium with the water they are in. Not an issue for a healthy ray, but it can add stress to a sick ray.

these are captive bred rays. However, i moved them out of quarentine fairly quick to a tank with larger rays because they were so aggressive and eating so well.. i thought they could hold there own. But i have some wild caught rays in the tank they went into. The wild caught rays i have had for a while 2 years or so atleast. But i did have a flower that had some issues back a few months ago and never determined if it was parasites or stress that messed him up. He is fine now, and i did end up goign with one treatment of prazi for the flower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store