Automatic Water Changer

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
if you go bare bottom and have a pre filter you will be close to never having to clean it. system looks great:headbang2

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
CHOMPERS;1927030; said:
Actually, you published in white which is invisible in the light skin. Yellow is barely legible. You do good work but the color choice could prevent your thread from being immortalized.
all you have to do is highlight the page :D

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
you dont worry about the water company upping the chlorine dose in your water supply? or bonding it with ammonia... chloramines???

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
so cal nick;1959492; said:
I spend 15 minutes changing my water, i really don't think i'd spend anything over 20 dollars on something that automates the process. Too risky as a hobbiest, and i like to work for my tank so i makes me feel better when people give complements.
Changing water on a 20 is a bit different than on the big tanks. My 300 gets at least 30% changed every monday and it does take a bit but i also do enjoy it.

But anywho..

Dig the automation! hell of a job! can't say I'd do it, more cause I'd probably flood my house than any other reason but, still very cool.

Oh and who care's how much he spent folks, it's his money!

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Nic;1961026; said:
you dont worry about the water company upping the chlorine dose in your water supply? or bonding it with ammonia... chloramines???
My setup can handle them upping the cholrine. They'd have to up it to the point that I could smell it before I'd be concerned (I did live in a house like that once). If they go with chloramines there's the UV sterilizer. My first idea was to put one inline with the fresh water. I still may do that. It would be easy enough and the same triggers that turn on the water can turn on the inline UV filter. That will handle the cholrine and choloramines and any other pest that may be coming through (which I hope is none since that is my drinking water).

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
wow_it_esploded;1991354; said:
Nice build thread! Though, uv sterilizers do not remove chlorine...
Lots if info out there about it:

http://www.uvsciences.com/index_files/Page607.htm
http://www.kieferpool.com/pdfs/Duke_LP_Amalgam_vs_MP_UV.pdf
Here's the abstract from the the last link. Read the whole article for details. The study was done to see if chlorine reduces the effectiveness of UV. They found chlorine does have a small effect on UV but UV degrades chlorine and chloramines.

IMPACT OF CHLORINE AND MONOCHLORAMINE ON ULTRAVIOLETLIGHT DISINFECTION

Banu Örmeci
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Duke University, Durham, NC
Gina A. Ishida
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Karl G. Linden
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Duke University, Durham, NC

ABSTRACT
Chlorination of water during treatment upstream of the disinfection process may possibly influence the effectiveness of ultraviolet (UV) inactivation in three ways: (1) chlorine and monochloramine may absorb UV light and interfere with the delivery of UV light to thetargeted microorganisms, (2) oxidation of organic matter by chlorine may alter the UVabsorbance, and (3) UV irradiation may photo-dechlorinate the active chlorine species. In this study, degradation rate of free chlorine and monochloramine undermonochromatic and polychromatic UV light was determined in raw, treated, anddeionized water samples. UV absorbance spectra of chlorine and monochloramine were also measured in raw, treated, and deionized water samples. The impact of chlorine-based UV absorbance on delivery of UV for disinfection was investigated. The results of this study indicate that chlorine is degraded during UV disinfection at typical UV doses although the extent of degradation is dependent upon the type of chlorine species, the water quality, and the type of UV irradiation (mono- or poly-chromatic). The transmission of UV irradiation in a 1 cm pathlength is slightly effected by the presence ofchlorine and monochloramine, decreasing the available UV energy by up to 2.25 %. However, the addition of chlorine can serve to decrease the UV absorbance under certain water quality matrices.

DucatiDragster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Bay Area
wow, nice work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store