baby longnose gar

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
It is a Florida / spotted just like the rest that always show up this time of year.... It is not a Longnosed at all and you can not distinguish Florida from spotted at this size. All of these usually are always Florida but one can not make that distinction on photos alone and not until the fish has more size (as well as being personally observed by someone that has an idea of what to look at).

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
benzjamin13;2470877; said:
Nice Gar...I've heard that Gars should be fed live until 8"
that's if they refuse prepared. if they accept, then there's no point in feeding live nemore is there:)

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
xander13;2471184; said:
that's if they refuse prepared. if they accept, then there's no point in feeding live nemore is there:)
this is the same for almost any fish.
no point starving.
if it takes dead immediately,good.
if not,then feed live.
and its a fl/spotted not longnose.

zix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Portugal
so it can be a florid gar, it was sold by Germam shop glasser
like Lepisosteus osseus,

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
zix;2488162; said:
so it can be a florid gar, it was sold by Germam shop glasser
like Lepisosteus osseus,
L. osseus look very different at that size. Your fish are Typical Aquacultured L.oculatus / L. Platyrhincus (Most likely Platyrhincus). It is really not at all uncommon to find these fish marked wrong. In fact it is more or less expected and typical for them to be wrongly Identified in one way or another.

How is it feeding so far? any luck with other items?

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
look at the snout long and pointy not very think, colors of a baby longnose, so he either is a longnose or hes part longnose

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
MultispeciesTamer;2489174; said:
look at the snout long and pointy not very think, colors of a baby longnose, so he either is a longnose or hes part longnose
no its NOT.
its already been ID'ed by gar experts.
it is a fl/spotted gar.

the snout is very different on a longnose.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
so the so called experts are always right? :irked:

I said what i think it is, from a side view if resembles a longnose which here in MI we got alot of, now if there was a front view to see how wide the snout is then i could say for sure

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
MultispeciesTamer;2489293; said:

I said what i think it is, from a side view if resembles a longnose which here in MI we got alot of, now if there was a side view to see how wide the snout is then i could say for sure
well,poly and xander are almost always right.

from the side view you can tell it is NOT a longnose.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
MultispeciesTamer;2489293; said:

I said what i think it is, from a side view if resembles a longnose which here in MI we got alot of, now if there was a side view to see how wide the snout is then i could say for sure
No the "so called experts" are actually not right all the time and we readily state that..... but in this case I sure the hell am and very well know it.

How wide the snout is not going to tell you crap if your not already seeing all the other obvious ID signs that distinguish these fish. That is not a Longnosed. Even in profile it is not one and clearly not even close.

I can spell it all out, Mark it all out and get all "scientifical" if you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store